Kevin Wheatcroft

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Kevin Wheatcroft

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:32 am

I saw this story and find it hard to believe such a collector of WWII Nazi items exists. It seems almost more believable that he has more Nazi tanks than several modern countries have in present day models than it does the extent and nature of some of his other collectibles. Yet... he's a rich British guy in today's world that most of us have never heard of before.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... itlers-bed
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Re: Kevin Wheatcroft

Post by deadin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Quite a collection! (Some might even call it a sickness.. ;) )
I've known a number of Nazi collectors over the years and can understand the fascination.
However, I start to worry about them when they start dressing up in the outfits from their collections.

A number of years ago we were having a gun/military show at a local community center when two "collectors"
showed up in full SS uniforms. The main problem is that there was a B'nai B'rith meeting going on down the hall.
We had to look for another venue for the next show.........
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Kevin Wheatcroft

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes, that's a serious question as to if the collector is collecting historical relics or is he a worshiper of some evil from the past. Is the fascination with the history or the mantra of an evil creed the artifacts are incidental to?

Now we have that Rebel flag thing going on now. Now South Carolina is waving the battle flag in front of the capital and it only now occurs to them that maybe they were worshiping a creed outworn a hundred and fifty years ago.

I think Wheatcroft is at least a little nuts for sleeping in a bed once slept in by Hitler... but otherwise I don't , from the brief story.. see him as a neo Nazi. I'd sure like to see his collection. Maybe one day there will be a museum. However, all things being equal, there is a large chance much of it will be done away with as promoting evil. But shouldn't what he has accumulated as curiosities belong to history for someone to wonder over maybe hundreds of years from today?