SAS sniper 'kills Isil suicide bombers from a kilometre'

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

SAS sniper 'kills Isil suicide bombers from a kilometre'

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: SAS sniper 'kills Isil suicide bombers from a kilometre'

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:49 pm

An SAS sniper killed three Islamic State suicide bombers by firing shots from the world's most powerful rifle through a 10inch wall, according to reports.
How did the sniper know people were behind a wall and how, more importantly, did he know they were suicide bombers? Do SAS snipers have xray vision showing location as well as guilt or was it just a lucky shot and the wall fell on the "suicide bombers" from the impact? Or................ maybe the sniper,seeing through the wall, spotted the suicide bomb or bombs they were carrying and placed a shot through the ten inch wall and into a bomb causing the bomb to explode killing the evil terrorist bombers all in a single shot as well a blowing the wall down?

Or.... this is something for Ripley or the National Enquirer. :loco:
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Post by englishman_ca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 pm

I don't understand your point, Niner.

Snipers spend most of their time watching. Hours, days or weeks could pass before taking the shot. A building wall is no protection.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:50 am

Good to see you posting englishman_ca. I think what I was getting at is ..how does a sniper know someone is a suicide bomber a 1000 meters off..and at the same time determining this while they are on the other side of a wall?

I remember some snipers from Vietnam. One night I was with a small ambush of a half dozen guys and we had a sniper assigned to us for a few days. Nobody wanted him.. he was sent out by brigade to battalion to company and we got him wished on us. Sometime in the night we spot some movement out in the paddy and not too far from a thatched roof farmers hovel. There were several people. One had a flashlight that was on... not usual for VC or NVA to be using a flashlight. They seemed to be carrying something bulky. Then one or two of them had something narrow and long and they stopped every so often for some reason. The sniper was seeing his next R&R and wanted to open up. Snipers in Vietnam were rewarded with short in country R&R's for each kill....to take their minds off being snipers I guess. But the officer in charge of the ambush said hold up a minute something isn't quite right. The sniper pleaded his case like a kid told he couldn't have candy because it would spoil his supper. So the people we were seeing kept moving on and were walking towards one of our six man ambushes and in a straight line down a paddy dike. Our guys in that ambush jumped up out of the paddy when they walked past and grabbed them. Turned out to be kids with sacks and long sticks out gigging frogs. And that sniper didn't seem to be grateful he had been prevented from shooting some kids.
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Post by englishman_ca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 am

Perhaps we will never know the details. And, not forgetting where we read this. Probably enhanced a bit to make good press. Maybe he used a special electronic sighted high caliber assault sniper rifle loaded with supersonic guided dum dum bullets from a kilometer away.

But who knows. There could have been satellite imaging, infra red and other 'intelligence'. 'Bad guys are here, neutralise the threat'.

I have seen first hand under range conditions what a Barret can do to concrete. As I understand, there is a round that will penetrate a wall and then explode on the other side.

I am eternally grateful that I have never been exposed to combat. But I have sat and listened to my peers who came back, and came back changed men, and women. One story comes to mind of a friend who did her tour as a truck driver refuelling armour in the Afghan desert. One night it was her turn to do duty at the gate. She told me of a young girl about ten or twelve years old coming up to the FOB carrying a basket of bread. She was told to stop but she kept coming closer with the basket. After being told to stop in her native language several times, my friend had to drop her. Turns out that the child was wired with explosives. My friend still has problems years later, she is getting help and treatment. She has nightmares and often just bursts into tears losing it. The child was around the same age and looked very much like her own daughter.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am

A “ma deuce” has been around since they were made for WWII and will fire the same size 50 caliber rounds and knock down things a lot quicker and the gunner doesn't even need a scope to do it any more than a fireman needs a scope on a fire hose. Of course... a sniper can't lug one around.

But who knows. There could have been satellite imaging, infra red and other 'intelligence'. 'Bad guys are here, neutralise the threat'.
Maybe the "terrorist's" encripted cell phones had been compromised and somebody flying a drone in the area from a few countries away intercepted and pin pointed the conversation of two guys talking about how to hook up their suicide bombs to go out with a bang....literally. Then the drone guy initiated relay of the exact GPS location to the local friendly ground troops because the drone was out of bombs and couldn't do the deed himself. Then the sniper went into action saving the "free world" from evil ... that's what the writer of that propaganda should have put in for affect. You know it's great comic book stuff.

I guess it all comes down to....like Ripley said... "Believe it or not!"