Quick access security safe for pistol

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Quick access security safe for pistol

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm

My wife...the granny... read something about how no child is safe in a house where all the guns aren't locked up. And this includes whatever firearm the one who only thinks he is head of the household, but has never really been, has for home protection. So in order to keep peace I've ordered a small safe that should make my only loaded firearm safer than being in a high place out of sight. The one I've settled on will bolt to something that doesn't move and has a key pad, keys, and one other thing. It is supposed to read your fingerprint which will also open the "safe". The only down side is a warning that it is not recommended for people over 55 since the finger prints fade as soon as one is on the one foot in the grave side of life and the reader may not read the print satisfactorily enough to open. Anybody had any experience with these finger print reading safes?

Back when my children were little I used to keep the bullets hidden away a distance from the "home protection" pistol as a precaution. This, of course, won't do now days that my wife has been enlightened.

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Security-S ... H0BQ1DA9J5
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Quick access security safe for pistol

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 am

Be cheaper and easier to keep the kids out of the house :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:24 pm

I don't have a safe like that but I look forward to your review.

-ArchFluffy
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:26 pm

It's coming the long and forever route. Maybe by covered wagon. It was in Dallas yesterday.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:52 pm

It arrived this afternoon. Really happy with it once I got past the learning stage. I think it would be difficult to break into.

It's heavy and well made. You can get in it with keys, two come with it, after removing one screw of the front plate so the plate will rotate showing you the key hole. This is if the batteries go dead. The inside has a removable shelf and is lighted with led lights powered by two penlight batteries that are included. The key lock and the fingerprint reader are powered by four more penlight batteries that are also included. There is a battery strength indication on the information screen so, hopefully, I can change the batteries when the need comes before all the energy is gone.

You push one button on the inside, after the batteries are installed, to set several fingerprint memory recordings. And.. although old people are warned their fingerprints may be fading, mine all worked in recording and later in reading just fine. My wife tried it and no such good luck. There is also a combination that can be set from a default of 1234 to whatever you like up to 8 numbers. This worked easy as setting a digital watch... easier than my watch with the date and the analog and digital indications.

Now all I am going to do further is bolt it down.
Attachments
DSC05680.jpg
DSC05677.jpg
DSC05675.jpg
DSC05673.jpg
DSC05674.jpg
DSC05681.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:20 am

That looks very substantial, also quick to access if the need arose.

Joe
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 am

Well, if you don't bolt it down and you can't open it for some reason you could always pick it up and hit the intruder with it :loco: :loco:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:52 pm

Nice piece of work.

Would never do in Australia though to have shot shells in with the pistol as it's an offence up here to store ammunition with firearms; .22rf in with the 12 ga. gun is a BIG no-no :loco:

Doubt if a quick access safe would be legal as the qa function would indicate 'intent', and keeping a firearm for self defence is an even BIGGER no-no. :loco: :loco:

Hope you never need the quick access.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 pm

I hope I never need to get into it either, Eoin. So.. you can't have the "intent" to shoot somebody breaking into your home down under? What about a big knife like Crocodile Dundee in the movies?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:31 am

I suspect you could only use that for cleaning your fingernails :roll: :roll:
Duncan