A long tale of lost ammo......

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

A long tale of lost ammo......

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:08 pm

I have ordered a lot of ammo online and have never had this happen before.
So I ordered a 50 cal size can (540 rnds) of 7.62x51 Malaysian surplus ammo on Aug 2nd from SG Ammo. Have ordered from
them before because they seem to have the best prices, mostly because of their lower shipping costs.
They use UPS for all shipping, FedEx is too pricey and USPS is well.... illegal!
They shipped it to me a couple of days later. Checked on UPS website and they said they never picked it up,
no origin scan. SG said they picked it up, and it will show up in the system at the next scan. Waited a few days
and UPS still said they never got it. SG sent me another can right away, excellent customer service.
All taken care of, got the replacement ammo, all is well. Then 2 days ago the "lost" ammo showed up at my house.
It seems that UPS did have it and they delivered it to a hospital in Medford, Oregon.... :shock:
The hospital opened it, saw the ammo and probably said... "WTF"...... :lol:
So they put it all into another box and shipped it to me. The label on the original box was in perfect shape and
completely readable. So I guess nobody reads the labels and just goes by scans, but the scan should have been
correct if my address was correct. I'll never know why it was delivered to the hospital, and the whole time the
UPS web site said they never had it. Told SG I finally got the lost ammo, they said they would send me a return
label or I could keep it for $180 (33¢ a round). Obviously I paid, that's about .223 prices, and I was happy since I
saved $42 and got a free can...... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: A long tale of lost ammo......

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm

All's well that ends well. UPS does screw up occasionally...we all know. Next door neighbor got one of my wife's packages last week. The driver read the house number wrong. One time I ordered a C&R rifle and got a call from a gun store. They told be to come and get it but I'd have to pay the background check and the handling fee. I told them if they looked at the address on the box they shouldn't have gotten it at all and after they had one of those what do you think of that moments I went and got my package.... no fees or dealer charges.

You can get ammo shipped by the postal service. A friend sent me some surplus 303 that he inherited and he sent it by post office. They have to add a label to it saying what it is though.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 pm

I can understand if the neighbor gets things of mine (rarely), but a hospital 500 miles away and in
a different state, with a correct label on it.......that's a stretch.

According to the USPS website, ammo is not mailable, maybe it was then, but not now.
See: c.Small Arms Ammunition (last paragraph)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_ ... =1&c=Pub52

"341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

a.Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter–type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.

b.Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.

c.Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing."

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 pm

All I know is a guy from South Carolina sent me some surplus 303 ammo in a box with a ammo notice of some kind on the side of the box in 2016 through the US postal service. I didn't save the box....so no evidence.

See this post.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... =3&t=12326
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Who knows, strange things happen. But I still wouldn't try it.