Went to the range today for a change

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Went to the range today for a change

Post by Niner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Just have a few.
Attachments
clips.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Great stuff :D
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Joe ..... I was in one of the last groups to go through basic at Ft. Lewis, WA with an M-14.
A heavy SOB that hurt my shoulder, would rather have carried a lighter M-16 on those marches........ :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I went through basic at Ft. Benning, Georgia with a M14 as well, Vern. I only saw a M16 one day in training a week or so before I was sent to AIT. I qualified with it the same day I first held one in my hands. Shot "expert" and got a three day pass. Like you , AIT did not include rifle shooting. Computation of data instruction didn't require knowing what a 105 howitzer looked like. I never got close to a howitzer while there...except at the museum. And the next M16 I got was in Vietnam and no time to see if it would shoot or not before it was locked and loaded and I was in the bush.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm

They may have given us a quick look at one in basic, I don't remember, but we never got
to handle one or shoot it...... And now I have my very own......... :mrgreen:

And I'm sure I've told the story about arriving at Artillery AIT as a PFC and the First Sgt said I was
now the Battery Commander's driver.... :shock: ... So I spent my time driving him around in a new Dodge
pickup truck and learned nothing about artillery. So in the Army's infinite wisdom, they thought
it was a good idea to send me to NCO school...... because I already knew so much about artillery.... :lol:

3.jpg

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Now that rifle looks like the real thing from our time in Vietnam just about a half century ago. I envy you.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:59 am

M14 Vern, pretty cool. :D My pal had a semi auto super duper target version of the M14 as I recall, of course this was pre semi auto rifle ban in the 80's. I was running a L1A1 at the time.
Joe
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 am

Beautiful Rifle Joe, wish i had one again.
This is for sale here in 308 Winchester at £970.

https://www.naturabuy.fr/FN-FAL-L1A1-30 ... 33738.html

I could have one if i applied for a category B licence which would also allow me to own semi-auto pistols but it is like swimming in treacle to get it. :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm

That seems a reasonable price Duncan, handy having that scope mount on the top cover too. Another one would be nice to own but I don't think I could afford the running costs the price of rounds these days.
Joe
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Niner wrote:Now that rifle looks like the real thing from our time in Vietnam just about a half century ago. I envy you.
The only thing that is "real" is the forward hand guard, actual military surplus. The rest is all replica, even
the 3-prong muzzle break. It is heavier than an AR-15, with the solid stock, longer hand guards and a
20" barrel, most AR-15s have a 16" barrel.