I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm

It's setup day. Show starts at 9 am tomorrow and ends at 5 pm. Sunday it's 10 to 4.

Found the right door at the back of the showroom to take me to the sign in guy..... after a little hunting. It was 1:30 in the afternoon and only just after the opening to set up time of 1 pm. Guy at the desk was the guy I had given my credit card numbers to over the phone....although the Collectors & Shooters Club Inc., is out of Montgomery. He had told me the card wouldn't be charged and only a "place holder". That much was true as he had my name and had me penciled in for a table and my credit card had never been charged. He proceeded to ask for $60 and I paid him cash and got a receipt and was assigned a table.

It was still early so tables were only beginning to be setup.

I was wondering how much of a table I'd have. Turns out to be nearly 8 ft. long with a wall behind me. A dozen rifles spread out on an angle with some space between seemed about the right amount as it turns out....particularly considering the long rifles I brought. If I can manage to sell a few tomorrow I should be able to add a few more on Sunday. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I ran some wire thorough the trigger guards and locked all of them together for the night. Then....though the photos won't show it, I put another sheet over all the guns like a not open for business sign.

I jury rigged a rifle carrier. Used a few of those plastic ties to attach a milk crate to a hand truck. Made a pretty good carry all. I could get six rifles per carry with no trouble.
Attachments
sidetruck.jpg
milkcarton.jpg
inside.jpg
inside2.jpg
table1.jpg
table2.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Look good, best of luck tomorrow & Sunday.......... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 pm

This is going to be awesome!

:bigsmile:

-ArchFluffy
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 am

Have a profitable weekend Robert :razz: :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks for the good wishes guys. I'm heading out for day one in a few minutes. I'll report on the experience of day one later.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 pm

I can't wait, Niner!

What if he just trades his rifles for other ones and so no net change :mrgreen:

-ArchFluffy
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Well.... took 12 to the show and sold 9 of them today. Most of them in the morning. I'll go back tomorrow and maybe bring a couple or three more or just hang around a little to see if the last three sell.

One of the last three I would have sold but the guy was from the neighboring state of Mississippi as it turned out and according to the rules as I understand them, me as a private individual can't sell a weapon to a person who resides in another state without going through a FFL dealer. He had to put his money back in his pocket.

Talked to a lot of people. Handed out a few cards for the site. Maybe some of the ones I handed the card to will give us a look.

Overall... pretty pleased. Didn't have to discount many because I think I priced them right to sell and the ones I did discount was only a little.

The worst sellers were the Turk Mausers. Did sell two of them but the three guns I have remaining are all Turks.

Surprised at the outcome and happy with the results. And I was basically removing some of what I considered the bottom end of my collection.

I took a photo of all drivers licenses as added proof for my gun ledger. Nobody minded. And.... requested each one initial a statement saying that the firearm is sold as is as a C&R and of unknown firing safety condition.
Attachments
The last three guns at end of day
The last three guns at end of day
DSC08079.jpg
DSC08078.jpg
DSC08077.jpg
DSC08076.jpg
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:42 pm

You did just fine.

It sure looks like a nice show too. Good lighting, pathways wide enough to walk down. Nice.

You really did move those rifles! I wonder what the crowd on Sunday will be like. I always try to go Saturday and find all the good stuff. You might surprise some fellow sellers with even more cool stuff on your table!

-ArchFluffy
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 pm

I was a salesman of one thing and another most of my life. Like all salesmen worthy of their salt, I always felt good about a good day selling...or most sales I made actually. It was like scoring a goal or something in any ordinary sport. When I sold a trailer load of mattresses as a wholesale rep I felt good about it. When I was in my later years a car salesman when I had a hat trick day I felt good about it. It's like your alter ego dual personality. Really it is like that. I miss that feeling sometimes... but that was then and this is now. You are someone else when you shift into sales mode. But... today I wasn't really feeling it. I was only thinking about how I had a pocket full of money and wondering about what the people I sold to would feel about their purchase and if I had any connection to them at all. And I hope I had read all the gun sales rules right. I appreciated the sale..... just wasn't any kick anymore. But... I'm retired. If I actually got a kick out of it I might resent being old..... which I don't...or go back into some kind of sales occupation. Fat chance of that. Old isn't all that bad. Retired beats having a schedule every day by a long shot.

I don't miss any of the guns I sold. The ones I'd miss I'll die with and my next of kin can deal with them.

Arch, the crowd on Sunday will be just as large.....just have to go to church first. We Southerners love Jesus, Trump and Guns. God bless us one and all. I use the term "we" generically.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:34 am

Good man Robert, sounds like you moved some stock, good luck for today..............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.