We've got trouble right here in River City

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

We've got trouble right here in River City

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 am

And it isn't Pool....like in the song. And it isn't Facebook. And it isn't that people aren't interested in old Curio and Relics. But this site is slowly sinking into the sunset. Each passing year formerly active users drift away and this formerly cutting edge message board that used to attract noticable attention becomes less and less significant.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that the milsurp new interest and enthusiasm has been drastically curtailed by the lack of milsurps available and the inflated prices and lack of variety of those that are available. That's even after less than 20 years back there were boat loads of different kinds and models of 20th Century war surplus coming in at really cheap prices. Makes me wonder what happened to those old war weapons that ended up in the hands of thousands of bubba's and dilettante's that outnumbered more serious collectors.

When I was selling my once upon a time from Century three for $100 long Mosins at the gun show for $200 each,and had no trouble selling them, it meant to me that the next generation of Milsurp fans are there trying to come forward, but there is not much in the way of milsurps in the commercial stream at a beginner price to let them into the hobby. Niner Delta reports one of the few online dealers left was offering a nothing special round receiver 91/30 Nagants for over $450 that only a few years ago might have been inflated at $100. And that "cheap" Nagant and Turk ammo is a lot less cheap now as well. The Turk ammo was all bought up a dozen years ago, although I still have a bunch of $4 bandoleers of the stuff in a closet. However today's shooter who just wants to experience firing an old weapon of war has to decide if he wants to fire a magazine worth of ammo or buy lunch.

But this site, for the serious gun collector , still remains. It has a search feature and you can find strings going back more than a decade. You can't do that on Facebook. If anybody posts on Facebook anything of interest, it's rolled on out of sight and mind withing a few days. Facebook has killed information sites in favor of a look at me social page. So..... I'm never going to go to Facebook as an alternative.

What this site needs more than anything is more posts that address what the poster has an interest in and knowledge of and is willing to share or who has a need for knowledge and asks questions. Will this happen to a more encouraging extent? No telling.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: We've got trouble right here in River City

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Would like to post more but the past 2 years, 1st with my Dad getting sick and passing away, then with my mom and her triple bypass this spring, and a very hot summer this year I have had a heck of a time going on line and even going to gun shows ( only 1 this year to date). But with summer winding down and work finally catching up I hope to be on line more and acquiring some new interesting iron to show off. :mrgreen:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:43 pm

I must admit that I am guilty of "drifting away". Hopefully I can get my butt in gear and visit/post in the near future.
I actually have a few new goodies to share just have to figure out new phone and how to do pics!
Be of good cheer,we are still out here!
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:36 am

BOLOMK1. Good to see you found your way back here. It's been a while. I'm glad to see you.
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:36 pm

We may not have boatloads of Milsurps coming over but there are some great items showing up at private estate auctions. I have been watching some in our area and nowadays you don't have to be physically present. I would suggest checking auction companies in rural states especially.
Just an idea.
John
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 am

Good idea John, :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes Milsurps have gotten a bit more expensive but that just makes the hunt more of a challenge, and even more rewarding.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm

I see run of the mill MN 91/30 refurbs going for $300 + shipping and dealer fees online.
And I see "genuine" 91/30 sniper rifles for hundreds more than that.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.