Went to a gun show.

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Went to a gun show.

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:23 pm

There are about four large gun shows in my part of Alabama each year. I try to make some of them just to see what is being offered and get a feel for what people are asking for stuff like what I have.

Today was day two of a weekend show in Mobile Alabama at the Abba Temple. I went fairly early before the crowd.... most people go to church down here before they go looking at guns. Since I'm a heathen the rule doesn't apply to me, even though in my youth my mother did her best to prevent it.

Noticed some Nagants of the 91/30 type at the "retail" of $105 to $120. Saw a few of those once upon a time $50 Turk Mausers for $150, No. 5 Enfields for $495. Saw a decent Arisaka for $250 and a bunch of M1 Carbines from $250 Universals to war time issue for as much as $950. Plenty of Ak knock offs from about $475 and up as well as SKS's at just about any price you want to quote from beaters under $200 to some tricked out stuff for a grand.

One that's not C&R that I noticed was a Remington speedmaster 22 just like one I've had for over 30 years. The first one looked excellent for $299! The second looked "good" for $250 and the third looked reallly rusty, beat up and neglected and it still had a price tag of $199. I couldn't believe it.
Attachments
IMGP1937.jpg
IMGP1939.jpg
IMGP1941.jpg
IMGP1942.jpg
Last edited by Niner on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Did you pick up anything interesting Robert?

I visited a armsfair in St Paul MN a few years ago and i was like a kid in a sweetshop. The armsfairs in the UK are crap, though having said that the Bisley armsfairs usually have some decent kit on offer. Trouble is i can't be arsed with the travel to Bisley.

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

No gun mad money at the moment Joe..

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:04 pm

I didn't see much of anything that I could afford by the prices they were asking.

I did see a good number of BP guns of the historic and actual version. But don't have the kind of money they were asking for Civil War guns....$1100 to $3000 depending on what and condition.
afish4570

Gun Shows....Jan. 2009

Post by afish4570 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 am

Went to show in upstate NY at Poughkeepsie Civic Ctr.and the prices aren't great and the condition of the milsurps is generally not worth the prices being asked. My recent bargain was at Gander Mt...just hit it right cause their prices are generally not terrific either....Just one guys opinion. The used guns are generally poor shape and over priced. New guns make themselves more a bargain cause their isn't much difference in the price being asked for the clunkers.... :( :( :( afish4570
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:26 am

Joe,

Just out of curiosity, how far is it from your house to Bisley, that it's too far to drive?

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 am

About 300 miles Vern, and i didnt actually say it was too far to drive.

So before you say anything about it being just "a hop and a skip", i just detest driving on Englands roads, especially motorways. Roadworks, traffic jams, inconsiderate driving, foreign truck drivers in left hand drive trucks, i could go on. :evil:

Joe
Last edited by joseyclosey on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 pm

joseyclosey wrote: i just detest driving on Englands roads, especially motorways. Roadworks, traffic jams, inconsiderate driving, foreign truck drivers in left hand drive trucks, i could go on. :evil:

Joe
And thats just Shiremoor to Brancepeth.
ImageImage
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:01 am

Joe,

"Trouble is i can't be arsed with the travel to Bisley."

It looks like the word "arsed" means that it's more trouble than it's worth.

And I wasn't going to give you the hop and skip, 300 miles is a fair distance, it's like driving across the whole width of Arizona.

Your description of driving in England sounds like every city in the US.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is a motorway the same as our freeway and what is the speed limit on your major roads? The top speed on the freeway in AZ is 75mph in the rural areas, but usually slows down to 55mph going through cities and about 5mph during rush hour. :roll:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:38 am

The last time I was in the UK (In my LH drive frogmobile) I couldn't wait to get out and back to France where it is still possible to enjoy driving on empty roads and motorways / freeways where you can do 80 mph legally (which means the French do 90+ :roll:).

I can drive from St Androny, where I live, in the SW to Calais, 830kms / 515 miles, in 8 hours with meal breaks :)

Not only that but between here and the range in Bordeaux (55 kms / 43 mls) there is only one speed camera Joe! ;)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am

Vern, "cant be arsed" in my vernacular basically means, i cant be bothered. :mrgreen: 70mph is the speed limit on UK motorways BTW.

Duncan, who's the "lucky buggar" now. :lol:

Joe ;)