UK NRA

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

bigboy

UK NRA

Post by bigboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Being new to this forum and quite new to shooting I have been having a look at previous posts and I never realised there was so much animosity towards the NRA at Bisley. I have been a member of the NRA for about two years and did my probationers course there. I go there to shoot about once a week as there is no other club nearby (Bisley is about a 1 hour 15 minute drive) that is open 6 days a week and has similar facilities. IMO it would certainly be a good thing if we had one organision that represented shooters interests in the UK. As it is we don't and that means Governments can bring in further restrictions making life harder for us. I don't know what sort of role the NRA and other organisations played in resisting the handgun and automatic rifle ban as that was before my time.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I have no objection to one organisation representing us as long as it is not the NRA. They have done more damage than good over the years.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:51 pm

It seems to me that it is in the interest of any UK government to have numerous shooting organizations to deal with because none of them have any real clout!

Because of internal club and organizational politics the sport of shooting is not properly represented and so vulnerable to any whim of any body in power be it Police or Government.

Until the shooting fraternity consolidate their role of opposition into one coherent and authoritative organization you - the shooter are going to be victimized in the UK.

The trouble is that you - the shooters are the only ones who can rectify this and because you subscribe to different organizations then the problem will continue to create a win - win situation for the politicians and the police.

Too many people in the associations with their own agendas :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
bigboy

Post by bigboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:56 pm

dhtaxi wrote:I have no objection to one organisation representing us as long as it is not the NRA. They have done more damage than good over the years.
I read some of the other replies on an earlier post and quite a few people, who have been involved in shooting far longer than I, hold the same view.
bigboy

Post by bigboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:34 pm

DuncaninFrance wrote:It seems to me that it is in the interest of any UK government to have numerous shooting organizations to deal with because none of them have any real clout!

Because of internal club and organizational politics the sport of shooting is not properly represented and so vulnerable to any whim of any body in power be it Police or Government.

Until the shooting fraternity consolidate their role of opposition into one coherent and authoritative organization you - the shooter are going to be victimized in the UK.

The trouble is that you - the shooters are the only ones who can rectify this and because you subscribe to different organizations then the problem will continue to create a win - win situation for the politicians and the police.

Too many people in the associations with their own agendas :cool:
Yep divide and conquer.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:42 am

I have given up range shooting as the shenanigans of the NRA have got to be too much after all the years of lies, financial mismanagement and backstabbing!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
dogbolt
Regular visitor

Post by dogbolt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 am

Well I was invited to the NRA's local meeting regarding this issue of creating a unified body rather than several.

We were all split into small groups and the one outstanding fact from ALL the groups was how much the grass roots shooters disliked the governing bodies of shooting. Not just the NRA, but the NSRA etc.

It would appear that appathy and animosity reigns supreme throughout the UK shooting community. But the alleged representative bodies have suddenly realised that divided they will fall. It was also apparent this has been the first time I've ever heard them admit to the fact they'd done a less than good job for promoting and supporting ALL shooting sports. This meeting was over a year ago, and as ever, very little appears to be happening..... Don't hold your breathe if your waiting for some revelation in the shooting sports.