Birmingham(Alabama) Gunshow

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Birmingham(Alabama) Gunshow

Post by oldironsights » Mon May 18, 2009 3:18 pm

I drove the 280 miles from my Mississippi home to Birmingham, Alabama to buy a rifle from a member of another forum, & while there, I met another member of that forum, & enjoyed a tour of the show, & a few cheap milsurp acquisitions.
I acquired a very, very nice 1918 Remington M91 with very good bore for $100.00, & a 10/45 Faz No5 Mk1 with matching walnut & bolt, but no magazine for $150.00. While it sports a very shiny bore, the outside looks like HELL! Quite pitted above the woodline.
I will post pics after the restoration.
I turned down a 1928 Tula M91 DRAGOON for $45.00 It needed too much work, & I already have several.
The drive up there between Meridian to Birmingham was very foggy, while the drive back was very stormy & wet.
Alabama is a GREAT state with many friendly & courteous residents.

It is always a good day when I acquire another SMLE & M91!
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Birmingham(Alabama) Gunshow

Post by Niner » Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 pm

All the "deals" must be in Birmingham. Looks like you had a very successful trip. Can't believe your luck . Congrats on the finds. I'll have to take the trip to B'ham one of these days if deals like that can still be found. In Mobile, it is a strong case of who is kidding who on the high asking prices. At least it seemed that way at the last two gun shows I went to in the area.
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Post by oldironsights » Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 pm

That was a small Ernie Bean gunshow; not the main attraction like the Collectors assn. show.
I hear that is the lions roar compared to the cats meow.
I even saw a SA stamped SVT40 CARBINE! for $800.00
I almost went running for an ATM machine, but I am getting better at saying "NO!"
I have many big bills due this month, so I had to pass to remain solvent.
I'll find out when the next BIG show is, & if I have enough "play dough" to make the trip worthwile.
Then I will let you know when it is.
I sometimes forget the international flavor of these forums. :oops:
I was chatting with blackisler on Sunday, & forgot to mention that there is a Birmingham & a Meridian in the southern U.S. :rebel: as well as in the U.K. :GBR:
I will be more sensetive & also try to hide my excitement next time! :bigsmile:

Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Post by Reese Williams » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 am

How about posting the dates for the summer collector's association show in B'ham. I think there should be one in July. I'll make the drive up from Pensacola. Maybe some of the forum members can meet up there.
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Post by oldironsights » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Reese Williams wrote:How about posting the dates for the summer collector's association show in B'ham. I think there should be one in July. I'll make the drive up from Pensacola. Maybe some of the forum members can meet up there.
I was told the next Birmingham collectors show will be 11 & 12 July; the same weekend as a Slidell, Louisiana gunshow. I have already given my word to a dealer with health problems that he can count on me to help set up the displays, transport the goods, & retire all the stuff afterwards to his store in Slidell.
For my trouble, I get "free" admission & free ibupofen to ease the pain. :rebel:

keithreid

Post by keithreid » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:40 pm

the next show date for the AGCA is Oct. 10-11 2009. don't know if i'll be able to make it, but I am at home now. might be back on the road working by then though. The last show me and pop made down there was an RK show last fall, and the prices we saw were ridiculous. haven't made an agca show this year to check on them, as I have been working in North Dakota since January. If you do get to the show, I'm the 6 ft tall guy with long hair and always wear a black t-shirt. I hit the shows when i'm home for them, and am a member of the agca. The yearly dues cover the cost of the shows, if you hit all of them. well worth joining, as you get in an hour early, before the doors open to the public. nice not just because there might be a good deal, but the dealers and members usually have more time to talk before the doors open.

Y'all have a good day! Keith