Down Right Dangerous ....

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Down Right Dangerous ....

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:37 am

On second thought, my response was pretty blount and short sighted as to what the overall point was. Guess I was shooting from the hip.

I'd imagine great numbers of people can call themselves an expert in the use of firearms for self defense or whatever. Everybody who has ever been in the military has a few bolo badges. And certainly the special forces guys of whatever service all have some "expert" status. Law enforcement officers all have some "training".

But while we are on the subject, what's this special training all about, anyway? Is it a hobby thing, like learning to play golf? Has the world returned to the days of the old West and everybody straps on his pistol when he goes to town? What do the people taking the course think about why they are doing it?
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 pm

What do they think about? Do you mean that particular class? I couldn't tell you.
But if you mean defensive firearms classes in general, well...
I can't speak for others, but I think about a lot of things while I'm in one.

I think about what I see in the papers everyday.

I think about how there are law enforcement officers in every class, and even if they are from what appears to be the most peaceful rural area you can think of, they all have crime stories that would curl your hair. Each and every one of them.
I'm not saying I look for danger behind every tree, but that I understand no place is immune.

I think about the time I walked in on a break-in (in the proverbial "good area" in the middle of the afternoon) and the first guy who saw me came at me with the crowbar he pried the door open with. What was one of "those things that never happen here"...did.

I think about how I would have been beaten at the very least if I had not been armed at the time.

I think about how I know I was lucky then. Until then, I thought just carrying a gun and practicing with it was enough, and never bothered to actually take a formal class or form any sort of plan. The best I can say for myself is that I slobbered through it that day. I sat down and made a list afterwards and came up with, I think, 11 mistakes I made. Training would have prevented most of them. I was lucky, but some don't get a second chance.

I think about how things are different now, since I am not just watching out for myself. Now I'm a stay-home dad and have my kids with me most of the time.
If I'm ever tested again and fail, someone may see that I take them with me.
I am trying to prevent that from happening. I am a stay-home dad because of a back injury. If I tried to fight somebody off of my kids, I would do more harm to myself than the attacker and only delay the inevitable by a second or two. If I was alone, and the best course of action was to run away, the back wouldn't allow me to run far.

I think about the sick people I have heard about, and how a crippled-up guy (me) with two cute young daughters (mine) look like an easy mark to them and how, by taking the class, I am doing all I can can to prevent anything like that from happening.

But mostly:
I think about how I feel it's my responsibility to seek out the best training I can if I'm going to carry a gun. And I will carry a gun.
I don't take these classes to play gunfighter for a few days and neither does anyone else I've seen. Nor will any instructor I've had put up with somebody with that attitude.
Around half of every class I've taken was made up of non-law enforcement and whether LE or not: Any one of these people might have the need to defend themselves or their family. Most never will, but we don't have a crystal ball to know who will or won't and when.

I don't carry a gun and train with it because I'm expecting something, I carry and train for what I don't expect.
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Rereading that, it may appear that I was angry at the question.
I'm not.

I know some don't understand taking defensive firearms classes and wonder why anyone would, and that's how the question sounded to me.
So I'm just trying to explain why I do.

I wonder why people don't. :)
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks Barry. That pretty much tells me why you wanted the training. Hope you never need it, but looks like you will be prepared if you do.
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 am

Thanks. I too hope I never need it.
The more I learn, the more I hope that.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 am

We dont have that problem in the UK all hand guns are illegal. Anybody found in possesion of a hand gun goes to jail.

Except for the bad guys of course they dont give a shit anyway.

If somebody breaks into your home over here you have to be carefull or you will get hauled before a judge for using to much force whilst trying to restrain the intruder and if you injure them they will sue you. And they often win and get awarded damages.

We had a old guy who lived alone on a farm over here went to jail for shooting two intruders with a shot gun. One of them died.
So they TRIED him and jailed him they said the guy who died had his back to him when he shot him so if he hadnt fired he would probably of run of.
BULLS--T.

What a wonderful country this is.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Having a good day there Dave? :mrgreen:
ImageImage
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:18 pm

I feel tons better for getting that of my chest. :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :ENG: