Norwegian Kammer Lader

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

mcmahonjr

Norwegian Kammer Lader

Post by mcmahonjr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

does anyone out there know anything about Norewgian Kammer Laders? It is a breach loading gun that was revolutionary for its time...but quickly outdated when the rifle showed up.
"Take off is optional, landing is mandatory"
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Norwegian Kammer Lader

Post by Woftam » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Try this site
http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=4
A search under kammerlader rather than kamer lader might yield more information.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:53 pm

That's a new one for me :lol:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Norway is just one more country I wouldn't want to live in.
Obtaining a license
There are two ways of obtaining an ownership license in Norway. The most common is through the process of obtaining a hunting license, the other is through a sports shooting license.

For hunting
To obtain a hunting license, the applicant must complete a 30 hour, 9 session course and pass a written multiple choice exam. The course includes firearm theory, firearm training, wildlife theory, and environmental protection training.

Once the exam is passed, the applicant may enroll in the hunter registry and receive a hunting license. The membership must be renewed each year, through license payment. The hunting license is brought to the police station, where the applicant fills out an application for obtaining the proper firearm for his or her hunt. After evaluation, part of the application is sent back to the applicant if it was approved. Upon approval, the applicant can take the returned form to the store and purchase the firearm listed in the application.

For sports shooters
The qualification process for sporting is theoretically easier, but requires more time and practice. The applicant must enroll in a firearm safety course, lasting at least 9 hours. The course includes a written test, but is shorter than the hunting exam, as it only deals with firearm safety. Two thirds of the course is completed on the shooting range as practice. The passing of the test results in acceptance to the approved gun club, and a license for competition. However, while the hunters can obtain their firearm almost at once, sports shooters must prove their intentions to compete by actively training or competing in the gun club. This means regular attendance (at least 15 times) at gun club training over the course of six months. The applicant must use firearms owned by the club or borrowed at the range for this period. After six months, the applicant may apply for weapon ownership. The start license and a written recommendation from the gun club president are brought to the police station, and the competition class is filled out on the application. If approved, it will be returned to the applicant as with the hunter license.

In both cases, if the application is rejected, the applicant is allowed an explanation of the reason, and an appeal.
mcmahonjr

Post by mcmahonjr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:35 am

I have visited the site and tried to contact them to no avail. The information is good, but limited in what I would like to know. I think it a certain model (1848/55) but cannot confirm it. Though I have no desire to sell this, I would love to find out its value. The story behind it is pretty interesting as the gun was smuggled into the US by the owner in a butter churn. She got the rifle from her father.

Unfortunately, as for living in Norway, I do agree with you...even though my mother is Norwegian and I was born there and it is such a beautiful country.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 am

UK gun laws are very similiar.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:24 am

Didn't mean to be such a downer on Norway or anywhere else in the world. I had made the post after giving Norway gun laws a quick google just out of curiousity and posted it on the spur of the moment. Given another twenty years most of the US will be restricted that way too probably.....or worse. A few big cities, like Chicago, are nearly there now.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Welcome to Australia.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Kinda sorta similar to a Hall breechloader of the early 19th century.
John
mcmahonjr

Post by mcmahonjr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am

Getting some info...from Øyvind Flatnes:

"What you have is a Model 1855 18 bore kammerlader rifle in rather poor condition. [If there is] a year stamped on it behind the rear sight [and] if the year is lower than 1855 it is a conversion from a previous model. As to value it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. I would guess 2-3000 Norwegian Crowns, perhaps a bit more, which is approx. 3-500 USD."

More to come as I find out. To me the gun is priceless as it is basically a family treasure.