PTSD and C&R collecting

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

spearedum
Leading Member

PTSD and C&R collecting

Post by spearedum » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:27 pm

I'ma 100% disabled vet WIA in Pleiku, RVN. I've had PTSD since March 14, 1969, but I'm a calm and peaceful member of my community. I've received a BA in psychology and worked as a therapist for the VA and other agencies. I attend a PTSD group at the local Vet Center, and was awarded a rating for PTSD in 2007. I've qualified for a 03FFL for many years before my rating, and have a collection of C&R rifles; I was a member of this forum in the early years.
I'm concerned about this administration and their efforts towards gun control, and confiscation of PTSD Veteran's firearms. I'm considering selling my collection in- lue -of holding my C&R's for my kin.
When I returned from Nam I was scorned as a baby killer and such, but hat has diminished in the new millennium; now I feel I'm persecuted all over again. I joined the NRA to combat this attitude of making Nam Vets undesirable to the civilian population.
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
Niner
Site Admin

Re: PTSD and C&R collecting

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 pm

At the moment there is no law, that I know of, that states that veterans with PTSD should not be permitted to buy or to own a firearm. Many of the PTSD cases are just now coming up among veterans from Vietnam service of 45 and more years ago as guys have started to realize that help has actually became available. No telling how many of the modern Muslim wars veterans have problems and have applied for assistance as well.

If the PTSD that Vietnam veteran's returned with didn't cause them to do violent things to other citizens, particularly with a firearm, over the last nearly half century, why should they be denied ownership of a firearm now? However, several of my friends who have sought Veterans assistance from combat related stress issues in recent years have expressed the same concern as you.

I tend to believe having a C&R is a defense against confiscation under any kind of blanket interpretation of firearms laws by the Federal government. It's the people not in plain site and unlicensed that may have more to worry about if there is a question of mental stability I'd think. For instance, I have a friend who has been getting some compensation for PTSD and at the same time buys and collects weapons of a military and non military nature. He buys from individuals.. as is legal in his state.. and avoids as much as possible any paper trail. Now... suppose... someone gets to wondering about his mental stability as a new, not now in existence, standard procedure for someone getting treatment and compensation for PTSD gets in effect. Suppose, investigative agents learn that as a PTSD victim he is "hording" weapons...maybe from some third party that only has a hint that he has more than one from something the guy has said. Collecting and "hording" can be somewhat the same description of activity depending on who is using what word and what he's thinking. But if there is a C&R license that is in force it would more likely be interpreted as "collecting" than "hording". That could be a deciding difference for some government operative if gun laws tighten on the subject of who is and who isn't a risk to society if they possess a weapon.

And... unlike in foreign countries that some guys on this board live in.. the government , through a C&R, still has no idea what guns you own or how many. If they showed up to confiscate them all they wouldn't know if they got them all or not when they left. And... if there were any law left in the US... your C&R license would give you a leg to stand on in getting them back through a court of law.
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanx, Niner for the great reply, and what you said is so true. I live in CA so all my firearms are known to the government. I'll keep my 03FFL and renew my license, but sell my extra C&R's and non-C&R firearms that I bought for an investment.
I'm searching through Gunbroker.com, and other firearm sources to determine a reasonable value of my C&R collection. I have an Argentine 1891 Calvary carbine to give to my only grandson- 9 year old Lorenzo. I hope my daughter will take it now before my demise, thou maybe my other 1891 antiques will be safe.
What do you think about the safety of our collections?

Thanx, Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm more worried about burglars. I live in Alabama so I'm not worried about what the state is going to do. We red necks like our guns and no politician could get elected at the state or local level who has even the slightest qualm about that. Now... California.... ..

Buy insurance and keep records of what you have. That's my reaction to your question.