New law in California starts January 1

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

New law in California starts January 1

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:09 pm

In California, starting in January, a judge can take away someone's guns if a family member or police officer believe they are likely to hurt themselves or someone else with a firearm. At least it takes a court order. Wonder what the other gun sites are saying. I wonder what the NRA is saying. ....what are you saying? Any opinion?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... kes-effect
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: New law in California starts January 1

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Obviously, in ANY situation where there are people who possess guns and should not be allowed to do so for various safety reasons, the situation should be addressed...............On the other hand,

Ronald King, 86, of Walton-on-the-Naze was charged with the single count of murder following the death of 81-year-old Rita King at De La Mer House care home.
The pensioner is alleged to have used a 1934 Enfield Revolver in the killing just before 9am yesterday.

The gun was obviously held illegally so how do you counter that?

Also, Tony Martin, The 71-year-old, who killed a teenager in his farmhouse in 1999, is arrested in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, in what police describe as "a planned operation". He is supposed to have an illegally held gun...........

The only way these two people could be prevented from owning/using a gun is if family or friends reported them. Is that right or wrong AND would the Police act correctly to rectify the situation or just do the usual and drag their feet until someone is hurt because that is what has happened in the UK recently.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: New law in California starts January 1

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

I don't see anything wrong with taking guns away from people who haven't committed any crime yet....as long as they are found by a judge, upon testimony and evidence of relatives or law enforcement, to be not of sound mind and a danger to themselves or others. If it is reasonable to prevent people with medically known mental conditions that could lead them to do violence from buying guns to begin with it should be reasonable to remove guns from people who have, evidently, become mentally irresponsible after the fact and after being so judged in a court of law.

Now the uproar is going to be the question of what mental conditions will start such a legal proceeding and confiscation... particularly by law enforcement. What comes to mind are veterans with recorded cases of PTSD for instance. Veterans with PTSD have been known to commit suicide more so than some violent act against others. I know of a case or two. However, I also know more than a few PTSD documented sufferers who have no intention of killing themselves or anybody else. Violence of any sort repels them rather than attracts them more than most people without any PTSD experience. Most avoid any movie with any violence or even unexpected explosive noises if they can help it.