So what does Obama's latest gun rule dictate mean anyway?

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

So what does Obama's latest gun rule dictate mean anyway?

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:09 pm

The President, grandstanding with a background audience of people related to murdered victims of shooters...some victims small children, cried tears as he offered a list of new Presidential orders to fix things. Well.. kinda sorta fix things. 200 more agents ... divided by 50 states? Getting more people.. undefined exactly... to get Class 1 Federal firearms licenses before selling arms? Closing gun show loopholes in some way that says "take that" more than solving anything? And ... what are the penalties for whatever he actually proposes and how can the President , without some legislative action, proscribe penalties? Maybe like Guantanamo where people can be banished without judge nor jury? And how many of the mass shootings would have been prevented if whatever it is that Obama is proposing and mostly emoting been in effect?

It's a political election year. If Obama was looking for push back he'll get it and not just from the Presidential candidates.

We probably really do need some tightening of gun laws but the way he is going about it isn't going to work.... I don't think. And it won't prevent the gun nut killers either... unless something is done to no longer making each of them infamous after the fact, which is what they are aiming at it seems to me. Any opinions?
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: So what does Obama's latest gun rule dictate mean anyway?

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 am

I think if you look at the plain figures you should be able to see that you need to do something about the use of guns in the US.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

But what the solution is I don't know........................there are too many inflexible people involved I think.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:07 pm

First of all, I don't actually believe those figures are unbiased, and here's why.

Here are a couple of quotes from http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com on 1-5-2015.......

"The Gun Violence Archive [GVA] was established to carry on the work of Slate.com’s......"

"Slate.com has been one of the more vocal proponents for civilian disarmament and infringement on the civil rights
of Americans when it comes to firearms ownership."

And this is from an article in the Washington post on 10-21-2014.....

"The most-preferred media outlets of liberals, according to Pew's study, are the New Yorker and Slate."

We all know that most all of the gun control laws are the handiwork of the liberals. So why would I believe that
anything that comes from Gun Violence Archive, which is tied closely to Slate, a very liberal outlet, is going to give me
any kind of view that isn't all FOR gun control.
An example is the Defensive Use catagory, they only use results when someone was actually shot. How many times
has merely showing a gun caused the bad guy to run away, and it is never even reported. Just another reason that I
don't give any credibility to these bullshit websites that no one has ever heard of before.
IMHO......

There is no simple answer Duncan, you think we need to do something about the use of guns in the US, yes,
we need to do something about the people using the guns. Stating the obvious and posting charts isn't much help.
There are so many guns floating around here already, that I think it is really too late to do much of anything. Trying
to take guns from the American public would be a really messy and ineffective effort. This country was built with
the use of guns and the public has always had guns readily available. The US is the 3rd most populated country in
the world so we have more than our share of whackos, we need to deal with them, but again, how can we do that??

Ouch...damn....just sprained my ankle getting down off my soap box............. :(
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:12 am

Twice in the distant past when I had a 'Possess, Use and Carry Licence' i.e. Conceiled Carry as it's called these days,
I was the subject of an attempted robbery (or whatever the perp intended).
One with a hand held rock (pathetic!) and the other with a small fixed blade knife (PAThetic).

On both occasions I smiled my evil smile and pulled my coat back to reveal my pistol.

Fast exits both times.

Nothing to report so no report, and this has been the case with many other incidents; one, at which I was an amused spectator, occurred when a group of us returned to a friends VW Kombi to go home.
A youth was lying across the seats fiddling under the instrument panel, the owner asked him what the problem was and the lad said that he'd lost his key, the owner pulled out his pistol and holding it flat on his hand, said "Perhaps this fits it".
Ever seen anyone fly horizontally out of a car and hit the footpath running?

A real athletic feat :D :D
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 am

Say whatever you like.......dead people are dead people and doubt anyone in the US can deny that you have too many......................
I do not advocate draconian control of guns but I think you have to look at your problem proactively and start working on it. Anyone can make figures prove what they want to prove I suppose but your President V Congress situation on this matter looks bloody stupid from this side of the pond. ( Falls off same soap box :shock: )
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Eoin's stories reminds me of a time managing a small furniture store back in the early 70's. Two individuals came in and one stayed by the door. The other came up to me at the counter and had his hand in his coat pocket with his finger making the fabric poke out like he was pointing a gun at me and mumbled something. I said'.."what?". He mumbled something else. I said something else that ignored what was actually him saying something like, "give me your money". This played out another round and he could see I was either a fool or that I was realizing that he actually didn't have a gun. He left at that juncture since he obviously didn't have a gun and hadn't planned on what to do if I wasn't believing him.

There was a guy who ran a store across the street who would brag about how he could take care of himself. He carried a gun in a holster on his waist. Nobody was going to hold him up. People could see he was armed...he said. Then one morning as he was opening up and as he had a paper bag in one hand.. either money or his lunch... somebody slipped up behind him and bashed his head in with a tire tool and took his money, his bag, and his gun. Amazingly the guy lived ...but never was quite hitting on all cylinders after that.

The only other time I was held up ... at the same store.. the guy actually had a gun. One of the things he wanted besides money was any gun I had. I gave him the money and the only gun I had was hidden away and I had no intention of giving it to him. And since he had the drop on me I wasn't reaching for it either. He took off and they never caught him.

And while I'm on the subject of that store... two weeks after I left that job to get a factory rep job, a thug walked down the street in that small town carrying a sawed off shotgun ....in mid day. Merchants and others saw him and called the small town, what had become a ghetto, police department for them to investigate. The man walked into the furniture store I had just departed from and robbed the new manager who must have been surprised that he had just taken a job in an area that should have been declared a combat zone. The store was closed up for good not long after that.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:27 pm

"but your President V Congress situation on this matter looks bloody stupid from this side of the pond."

Believe me, it doesn't look any better from this side........ :cool:
We are trying to avoid what happened to UK, Australia, and others. But no one has figured out how
to spot the crazy killers ahead of time...... :(

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.