The latest mass murder and Hillery reacts.

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

The latest mass murder and Hillery reacts.

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 am

Hillary was fired up on gun control of "assault" weapons. We got to protect Americans by ... da da da da... And she calls for a new assault weapons ban.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... ndo-attack
Clinton’s tough stance on gun control sets up a torrid fight with her Republican rival for the White House Donald Trump, who has positioned himself as a champion of the second amendment and dismissed any calls for greater gun controls as weakness. She insisted that while she did believe that law-abiding American citizens have the right to own guns, it was also possible to see that “reasonable, commonsense measures” could be taken that would make people more safe from guns.
Rattling off all the ways that Florida allows the proliferation of guns – the state doesn’t regulate assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, doesn’t require a permit to buy a gun or oblige owners of weapons to be licensed – she said: “That’s a lot of ‘nots’. I believe strongly that commonsense gun safety reform across our country would make a difference. We know the gunman used a weapon of war to shoot down at least 50 innocent Americans.”
While not long ago she was all in favor of giving assault rifles to a Sudan dictator who used them in an army of children.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/09/hil ... -soldiers/
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The latest mass murder and Hillery reacts.

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:17 pm

I get a bad feeling that if you want guns or ammo, especially over the internet, now is the
time to buy them..... IMHO...
I was on an online ammo website yesterday and it was moving VERY slowly, making me think
there were a lot of buyers on there, never that slow before......... :shock:

And of course Hillary today said we should not be upset with the muslims, but we should put
the blame on the assault rifle. Because we all know that the rifle went in there, with no human
holding it, and killed all those people........ :roll: ..... She is such a dick...... :evil:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:38 am

Well I watched that speech on TV and she said a lot more about the status quo than 'ban assault weapons'..........Seems to me she said a lot about supporting the people who are tasked with countering potential terrorism by giving them the tools to do the job.

I do not intend to get into the deep arguments about gun control in the US as we have our own major problem here in Europe where the EU wants to class muzzle loading black powder weapons in the same group as Kalashnikov's but I cannot see the justification in needing to own modern military style auto and semi-auto rifles. If you don't ban them you certainly need to control who buys them.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:00 am

The latest nut case had been on the FBI's persons of interest list. They had interviewed him more than once. His wife said he was nuts long before the shooting and had physically attacked her before she left him. His father has some internet Afghanistan political agenda that suggested that he is the rightful ruler of Afghanistan and , among whatever else he was preaching, thought gay people should be punished. The shooter himself, strangely enough, was some kind of paid security guard and had actually passed some kind of gun carry license requirements.

The thing is...AR15 "Assault" weapon is a bad name for a semi auto black rifle. The AR16 military version "assault" rifle has a full auto and a burst mode as well as single fire per trigger pull now days. The store bought AR15 style arms are no different than a lot of other more conventional looking hunting arms.

The biggest problem is the way we handle the scrutiny of potential gun buyers. The FBI should share their list with the BATF, although probably they won't since they would be afraid of tipping their hand that they are watching. The medical records of people with potentially violent mental problems from all states in the Union should be shared with the BATF. Everybody arrested for some violent act should be on the BATF list... even if they get a good lawyer that gets them off the hook. And..most importantly..if the news media didn't comb through every little thing they can dig up and make the shooters , name, history and life story known after the fact, many copy cat killers who only want to be "famous" and go out in a bang of rage wouldn't be so inspired to commit the next atrocity. Says me anyway. :idea:
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Modern military style semi-auto rifles are widely lawfully privately owned throughout Europe without any problems that I know about, but not in the UK. If the semi-auto ban was not in force here, I would have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and a L1A1 SLR in my collection and probably a SAFN49. I am not too fussed about the AR15. These are all military issue self loading rifles but I don't think that I would be a greater danger to the public with those than with the rifles that I already own. I have managed to get off twenty aimed rounds in a minute at Bisley with my M1896 Swedish Mauser starting from empty and that only has a five round capacity. I don't think it is the rifle or magazine capacity that is the problem but the mental cases that use them. I understand there are millions of AR15 type rifles in the US, but only a tiny number have been misused, albeit with tragic consequences. I don't know how to tackle the problem but I am not convinced that banning everyone from having an AR15 is an answer to the misuse by the criminal element.

Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Consider this organisation - I have joined................
Screen-Shot-003.JPG
http://firearms-united.com/
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:44 pm

I have been saying that for a long time. This is a "letter to the editor" and my reply that
was published in the local newspaper about 2 years ago.
(As you can see, my reply was split in two columns.)

Attachments
letter.jpg
my reply1.jpg
my reply2.jpg
my reply2.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:06 pm

The biggest problem is the way we handle the scrutiny of potential gun buyers. The FBI should share their list with the BATF, although probably they won't since they would be afraid of tipping their hand that they are watching. The medical records of people with potentially violent mental problems from all states in the Union should be shared with the BATF. Everybody arrested for some violent act should be on the BATF list... even if they get a good lawyer that gets them off the hook.
I stated the above earlier. I was forgetting something important.... due process. What if the government produces lists in secret..which they do...like the no fly list... and restricts individuals rights without "due process" ....as in appearing before a judge and seeing the charges as to why they were singled out and not have any personal rights abridged without a legal process in open court.

I was reading this today and it made me rethink my earlier position. However at the same time that actual due process should be in place, instead of secret lists, crazy people shouldn't have guns and people talking violence shouldn't have guns either. :

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/21/dem ... s-orlando/