Farmer apprehends armed intruder and then finds himself in trouble

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

Farmer apprehends armed intruder and then finds himself in trouble

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 am

From the "Border Mail".

"A FATHER who armed himself with an unloaded rifle during a home invasion has been left wondering what he could have done differently, after having his guns seized.

Police took David Dunstan’s three firearms from his farming property at Bungowannah on Thursday afternoon.

A man armed with a knife and piece of wood had knocked on his back door about 3.30am.

Mr Dunstan, who has a gun licence, went to his nearby gun safe and grabbed a .22 rifle after finding the man outside his home.

He said he didn’t point the weapon at the offender, and essentially used the gun as a “prop”.

The father of three forced the man into his vehicle and drove him towards the Albury police station, and was met by officers nearby.

Police seized his guns, which he uses for pest control at his property, later that day.

“I just don’t know what I should have done, what would have been the right way to do it,” Mr Dunstan said.

“My gun licence is for vermin control.

“I suppose, technically, trying to protect yourself is not classed as that."
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4927 ... -his-home/

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/threa ... 942&page=1

Yer can't win!!
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Farmer apprehends armed intruder and then finds himself in trouble

Post by Niner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:35 am

Maybe Aussie cops don't like civilians arresting people. What would have happened if the home invader had realized that the gun was unloaded and took it away from the home owner and beat him with it? :loco:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am

I blame;

Ned Kelly
Ben Hall
Martin Cash
Joe Byrne
Moondyne Joe
John Dunn
Owen Suffolk
Captain Thunderbolt
The Clarke brothers
and Dan Morgan

But not necessarily in that order Eoion! :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Did the man actually invade the man's home, the article says he was outside.
Inside or outside makes a big difference. First thing is to load gun, otherwise it's just
a club. Make the man sit down cross-legged and hands behind head, call 911.
I would never make him get in car and drive to police..... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 am

Best 'stance' for controlling neredowells is make them lie face down, arms outspread and legs crossed at the ankles. It takes a lot of effort to get up and they can't see you ( unless you get too close! )
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 pm

In Nam we made the captured VC sit, hands behind head. If they are lying down, it takes too much effort
to bend over to torture them........ LOL......just kidding.......really........ :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 am

Latest:

Farmer cleared after arming himself with a firearm - His letter to the Commissioner
By Michael Gibson | 5 October 201

Thankfully common sense has prevailed after a farmer who confronted a would-be home intruder armed with a knife has been told he will not face charges.

Police have told David Dunstan he had been cleared of criminal wrong doing after the father-of-three was confronted by a man armed with a knife and a long piece of timber at the back door of his family home.

Mr Dunstan grabbed an unloaded firearm from a safe, but did not point it at the man.

Police seized his three guns later that day for contravention of the firearms act.

Mr Dunstan’s wife, Andrea, also had restrictions placed on her gun licence on Tuesday, banning her from having a firearm at the family’s home.

Mr Dunstan wrote to police Commissioner Michael Fuller on Wednesday in a bid to get his firearms back.

“I thought in Australia you were innocent until proven guilty,” he told The Border Mail.

“At this point, I’m innocent, but still proven guilty.

“Now my wife is dragged into it as I live under the same roof as her.”

Mr Dunstan says he doesn’t have a problem with Australia’s gun laws, but was concerned with the way they were administered in this instance.

“If I was stabbed at the back door, would that have been a better outcome?” he asked.

“I don’t think so, and I think that’s the reason a lot of people in Australia are unhappy with what’s going on.

“I look at what happened in Las Vegas – I’m glad we’ve got the laws the way we do.

“But what’s happened to us is not actually fixing a problem with all the unlicensed people and unregistered guns.

“They’ve gone and slapped us around the head with it and I just don’t understand it.”

In his letter to the police commissioner, Mr Dunstan states that he did not use excessive force, harm anyone, load the firearm, fire the weapon, or point it at the home invader.

He says based on the legal definition of using a firearm, he had not used it.

Mr Dunstan said his family had been traumatised by the incident, and he felt he had to prove he had done nothing wrong.

He discussed the matter with Deputy Premier John Barilaro at Noreuil Park last week.

Mr Barilaro said police were only following the law, but said those laws would have to be looked at

Read more at http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/lates ... O2VVfj0.99
"

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 am

When a politician says he is going to look at a law what he really means is that after things quiet down he is going to forget about it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Just remember folks, this shambles happened under the much vaunted Australian Gun Laws that Hillary Clinton and others adore so much.

Eoin.