New Zealand tragedy

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

New Zealand tragedy

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 am

The latest mass murder was in New Zealand of all places. It's been in the news everywhere of course. This latest maniac has been investigated and talked about with all due diligence by the talking head press around the world. Probably just what he wants... infamy seems to be a large part of why these insane attacks happen. One serious study recently found that not universally broadcasting the name and history of such people would dampen their chief motive.

I was just now reading a comment from an American living in Christchurch New Zealand to an old Vietnam war buddy. He said the following:

"Very close to home. Mosque close to my sons house and grand children’s schools. One of the Killed was one of my sons work mates an aero-engineer at Air New Zealand. Three of the children killed attended Cashmere School just around the corner from my sons home. Most folks in New Zealand are in shock such a thing could happen here. Our police didn’t even carry side arms. If they have them they are locked in their patrol vehicles. Looks like an easy target for such a coward. Everything is looking like many are wanting to take even our hunting arms away. My son and I are hunters and don’t have any semiauto fire arms. Much hysteria here over this. Many wanting to ban all firearms in New Zealand.

Many in our government don’t want us to even have a military. There are some very outspoken Left people here wanting no firearms no hunting no meat eating etc. Some people here have grown up so protected and safe they have no idea what the real world is like. All we can do is cast our vote!"

When the cop's guns are locked up it makes a mass murderer pretty confident I'd imagine.
Aughnanure

Re: New Zealand tragedy

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:29 pm

The same idiotic sentiments are being expressed in Australia, more gun bans etc.

One brave man, Abdul Aziz, saved the lives of many,
https://news.sky.com/story/many-more-wo ... n-11666492
what is being studiously ignored is the obvious fact that only someone on the spot can act.

Just as obvious is the fact that an armed person on the spot is the most likely to succeed in stopping a murderer.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:42 am

While I deplore the act I cannot agree with the NZ PM as regards Gun Laws for the very reasons already stated.
Such a pity that people like her are in a position of power.
Mind you, with a look like that and those teeth she must be a Vegan / Vegie
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:57 am

The State elections were held yesterday (first time they've been held on my birthday, and I got a present), three Shooters, Farmers and Fishers Party members elected to the lower house, the Legislative Assembly.

That's an increase of 200%

The Greens retained their three seats but their overall vote is down slightly.

Three members in a 90+ house can't do much unless the Government needs their vote.

The Upper House, the Legislative Assembly is not finalized yet, but we have hopes of three there as well, all the fear-mongering over Christchurch backfired.

Interesting times ahead, particularly on gun laws.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.