wine that is likely not all that good

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

wine that is likely not all that good

Postby Niner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Since it is time for the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with a number of guests I thought I'd buy some wine to go with the fired turkey. And...unlike Duncan... what I know about wine I could write on a post it note with a 8 inch paint brush in black paint and have room to spare. So... this is what I came home with out of the gazillion choices. One I think is red and the other is white...the two flavors of wine in my vocabulary.

One is supposedly imported from France. The other is imported from California.

Generally half a bottle or more will remain in each bottle to pour out afterwards. We are more of a beer and whiskey group...those of us who drink at all.
Attachments
BN.jpg
Beaujolais.jpg
Mis en bouteille.jpg
sauvignon Blanc.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: wine that is likely not all that good

Postby DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Well my Post It says that Beaujolais Nouveau is generally vastly over rated as a red wine ( Try chilling it, it's not conventional but it will improve it!).
It's main claim to fame is that the English used to race back to London with it as a trophy to be drunk at a dinner as soon as possible after it was 'released' Drink in the year of production.

The white I don't know but their website says

TASTES & DELIGHTS
Our driest white wine, Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc is bursting with summer fruit flavors like honeydew melon, nectarine and peach. Pear and lime notes meld into a soft, delicious finish.

PERFECT PARTNERS
Pack a picnic basket with some fresh veggies and mild cheese, find a sunny spot and uncork! What do you enjoy Sauvignon Blanc with?

Again, drink it within 12 months of bottling for best enjoyment but "Double Gold" is just pure bullshit!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Wine only needs to be cold and sweet. Obviously I'm not a "real" wine person....... :mrgreen:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Vern... remember Red Dagger? The winos favorite along with any event that served cheap wine?

I remember in college a friend of mine who was not old enough yet to visit the state store, and I was just barely old enough, wanted me to buy a bottle of wine for him. He was an art major and a very good one. Don't know if being an art student had anything to do with wine drinking...but I digress.

He and I went in my car to the ABC store...state run booze outlet in Alabama. I asked him what he wanted. He said get a bottle of Rhythm wine. Cost about $1.35 at that time in the late 60's for 4/5s of a quart. Then he had me drive by a drive in restaurant. He got out and came back with too large cups with ice. He started to pour as we drove off. I said, wait a minute, I got a class in a little bit I don't want any. But he had the bottle divided about the time I took to say that. We went by the fraternity house and ..me not being afraid to try new things that were booze .. partook. Later I went to class ...one with only about six people in it and in the professors office and did my best not to laugh thinking how buzzed up I was and kept wanting to smile idiotically and suppress it at the same time. . Later I went home and took a nap and woke up with the worst headache I ever had before or since. That pretty much ended my wine interest for all time.

Thanks , Duncan for confirming my suspicions on my choice of beverages.
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:43 am

Keith Floyd, a renowned British cook and wine (any booze actually) buff said:-

"If it's not good enough to drink it's NOT good enough to cook with!"

and

"There is no such thing as bad wine, some is just MUCH BETTER than others!"

:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm

I remember getting really drunk on Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, Annie Green Springs, and a few
other cheap wines, in my short run at college. Don't remember Red Dagger, but winos also liked
Mad Dog 20/20, (MD 20/20 made by Mogen David), and Thunderbird.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Rhythm was a memorable wine. First and only of that brand I ever had ...and nearly a half century ago... it burned its memory into my brain cells.... literally.

The French wine.... half a glass.. tasted like not very sweet grapes with alcohol in it. The California wine went over a little better. One guest took home what was left of the California white wine. Nobody wanted the French.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:35 pm

The Barefoot brand is very popular here in the NW, have enjoyed a few glasses myself.

Return to “The Millsurp After Hours Gourmet”