For those in places other than America

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

For those in places other than America

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:28 pm

In America we have "Japanese" restaurants in perfusion in the larger cities. In Mobile, Alabama there are at least four within two miles of my house and only Buddha knows how many in the whole town. The menu is divided roughly between Hibachi grilled food and sushi. All such restaurants have the same format....in at least the half dozen or more that I've visited. You can choose to watch a show where a "chef" cooks the food on a grill before you with plenty of flame and spatula and knife clinking or you can pass on that and just order from the menu and be served in the more conventional way. The Hibachi starts out with soup and a salad and then the entree. The sushi rolls are made to order, although all of them contain about 50% white gummy rice. Most people get a couple of such rolls as a standard thing.

I was testing out a $8 Sony Cyber-shot today when we went out to one of the above mentioned number of restaurants after finding the American steak houses full up and waiting room only. The Japanese place had only one other table besides ours occupied. I understand they do a reasonable night business to make up for the slow lunch crowd. But.. I like Japanese alright and I don't like taking a number at one of the "American" steak joints.

The standard plate has the fired rice, the same assortment of veggies and a dozen choices of steak, fish, shrimp, scallops, chicken etc. and various combinations...

This restaurant uses tablecloths..as probably the only distinguishing feature.
Attachments
DSC00979.jpg