French wine in an American grocery store

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

French wine in an American grocery store

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Duncan... have any idea about what kind of quality any of these are? They are supposed to be French wines. I think, since they are sold in a grocery store, that they are wines for wino's more than Oenophiles but what do I know. I would think the real wine people would buy their wine from a specialized wine store. I think I'd avoid the one called "Fat Bastard" though...reminds me of Red Dagger or Rhythm as wines made for sleeping in doorways or under a bridge rather than the old goes with white meat or red meat thing.
Attachments
DSC08182.JPG
DSC08183.JPG
DSC08184.JPG
DSC08186.JPG
DSC08188.JPG
DSC08189.JPG
fat bastard.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: French wine in an American grocery store

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 am

First of all, Fat bastard Wines are Appellation Vin de Pays d'Oc. Wines from that region are generally good but as with all screw cap wines they are 'pasteurized' and therefore will not improve with age.............

The other wines you show I have giver green ticks to the ones I would buy. Some such as the Pouilly Fumé and the Vouvray are classics.

I would say this store knows it's wines well............ :FRA: :FRA: :FRA:
Attachments
W1.jpg
W2.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 am

Well, that's a surprise. I'd have thought they may have been wines for American consumption with fancy French writing on the label. Now that Fat Bastard wine really surprises me as being reasonably respectable.

By the way, the grocery chain is Rouse headquartered in New Orleans. New Orleans is known for booze of all varieties.

Here is the wine section of Rouses recent newspaper ad. They sell wine from all over.... sections for Italian, Spanish, California, Australia, and other places. I got a feeling this add is aiming at a mixed flock of wine drinkers by aiming center mass on the expectation it will hit at least a few of them.
Attachments
Rouses.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

All the wines I ticked have websites in France and all ( except ½ bottles ) have corks, not screw caps which sets them above the rest IMO.
Difficult to comment on the promotion sheet as you cant make out the bottles...... :bigsmile:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

I very seldom drink wine, and beer is for the summer heat. Bourbon and the occasional gin
are my tasty treats...... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanksgiving is next month and there will be the usual family gathering if nothing prevents. So I was in the Grocery store the other day and decided that I would get some "real" wine like the knowledgeable wine people like Duncan would drink. So I got a bottle of this French wine since it is one that Duncan approves of from my local selection.
Attachments
DSC00553.jpg
DSC00552.jpg
DSC00551.jpg
DSC00550.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:50 am

Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Pouilly-Fuissé....... I think that translates into English as "Fussy Chicken".......maybe.....or not...... :mrgreen:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Well.... how it went with the wine on Thanksgiving. The Pouilly-Fuissé got two thumbs up and two thumbs down. I thought it was ok but the alcohol content was more noticable than the flavor. I also got a bottle of the Fat Bastard. It was cheaper... about $10 to the Fuisse $24. It was pretty awful by all accounts. Although Duncan didn't recommend it and it isn't his fault. I'm done with wine for another year. Next year it's the cheaper American stuff.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:46 pm

"Next year it's the cheaper American stuff."

I agree, it's hard to beat good old American Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill or Annie Green Springs
Green Apple Wine....................... :loco: