THE MAKING OF WINE. A STEP BY STEP STORY FROM FRANCE

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

THE MAKING OF WINE. A STEP BY STEP STORY FROM FRANCE

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 13, 2007 4:51 pm

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... e/MATT.jpg[/pic]

OK - That's the jokes over!!!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun May 13, 2007 5:43 pm

It's always better in the box. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 pm

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... l-Buds.jpg" wisth=650>

After the dormant winter the vines are cut back and all the previous years wood is reduced to 2 short branches, one either side of the main trunk of the plant. These will supply the growth for the current years fruit. Each branch will be cut to allow for 3 buds to grow thus allowing 6 bunches of grapes per vine plant. This is a picture of a new bud taken in April.

Please feel free to ask questions as I go along as I am sure I shall forget to cover everything :)
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 11:34 am

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... lowers.jpg[/pic]

The vine is now throwing shoots in all directions and the flowers have arrived which will produce the grapes. The main job in the vineyard at the moment is to tie the parts of the vine that will produce this years grapes to give them support. Shoots that sprout from the bottom of the vine are either cut off or chemically removed because if left they will steal the moisture that the grapes need to swell.

The vines are sprayed to prevent disease and infestation by aphids. The whole countryside around us is now green and lush!
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Now we have baby grapes!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:17 pm

The bunches have now formed on the vines and they are growing fast. The plant is generation lots of leaves which need to be controlled.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... an-Cut.jpg[/pic]

The vines are trimmed regularly so that they do not produce too much green growth. If this is allowed to happen the plant will stimulate its leaves and tendrils rather than the young grapes.

Trimming is done by machine.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... utting.jpg[/pic]

All these pictures by the way are taken just outside our garden. :bigsmile:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:39 am

Very interesting machinery (I love that kind of stuff). It appears to be all hydraulic, drive wheels and cutting blades, too.

How do you keep from trimming off the clusters of grapes, along with the leaves? Or do they grow mostly on the center line of the row?

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Easy

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 am

The grapes grow at the bottom of the plant and near to the 'trunk'. These machines are designed to cut the tops and any growth protruding outwards.

The leaves are really a natural solar panel. They feed the grape so it develops its sugar. What the grower is trying to do is produce a wall of leaves that will convert the sunlight by photosynthesis into sugar. Too many leaves means that the food is used by the plant to grow instead of supporting the grape hence the need to trim them. A vine can grow up to 18 mtrs in one year if left to it's own devices.

Now is the time that they spray regularly to prevent mildew and downy (oidium and peronospera. They also need to manage the ground by either mowing or killing the weeds/grass betwen the rows.
Duncan

krinko
Contributing Member

Post by krinko » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Where is the large angry dog?

During my hike from Port Bou to Perpignan in 1969 I found the vinyards to be well stocked with large angry dogs----who thought the public road was also part of the vinyard.

-----krinko
Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen
DuncaninFrance

Probably in Mosel!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 am

Their white tastes like I imagine dog pee would - or is it cat pee - no, thats Schlitz beer! :roll:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Speaking of Schlitz Beer

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Friend sent me this ad from many years ago when Schlitz was still a premium beer.
Attachments
schlitz.jpg