Couple of days away

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Couple of days away

Post by Woftam » Sun May 03, 2009 12:10 am

Had some time off recently, coinciding with the wife having some free time, so we took off to the Hunter Valley - one of our premier wine growing areas. Had a couple of nights at a vineyard/guesthouse, complete with its own restaurant. Now I'm fairly basic when it comes to food, I like it plain and simple but occasionally I like to lash out and try some more exotic (for me) fare. So with that in mind when we hit the restaurant I was looking for the less mundane.
Having been introduced to Haggis by Adam how could I pass up -
Haggis rolled in venison, pickled walnuts, persian figs, potato straws & madeira jus
Well I can take or leave the pickled walnuts but the rest was superb.
Also sampled -
Ale braised Aberdeen Angus beef blade with bone marrow dumplings, baby leek, roasted witlof & creamy parsnip puree
Very very tasty.
Then there was the -
Roast pigeon with black pudding & prunes, wrapped in bacon, Cabbage rolls & a red wine jus
Also very tasty.
Desert was a real eye opener -
Cranachan - a traditional Scottish wedding dessert:: Raspberry, toasted oatmeal & honey ice cream terrine with whisky & almond praline filled tuile cigars
This has got to be the best thing ever to come out of Scotland (if one ignores Whisky).
From a purely culinary point of view a truly interesting and tasty couple of days. Was having a yarn to the owner (and winemaker, there's a fancy name they call them that escapes me) and surprise, surprise his wife is a Scot.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Couple of days away

Post by Niner » Sun May 03, 2009 9:37 am

Talk about exotic. Can't find any of that on the menu at an Outback Steak House. And did you have to wear a coat and tie to be seated? :bigsmile: