Wildlife Dinner

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Wildlife Dinner

Post by aprayinbear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Anything that moves..... well almost,

Around here each fall, there are several "wildlife dinners" hosted (usually) by local churches. This year with a little encouragement I piled into the car with several of my neighbors and headed (for my first time) to the Sardis Baptist Church wildlife dinner. Don't know if I mentioned it, but the food is free!..... so there are always hundreds of folks eager to get there. Food is served outside around several large fires where folks huddle to keep warm.

If you're so inclined you can eat frogs legs, rattlesnake, alligator, rabbit, venison (roasted, burgers, barbequed, etc.), shrimp, fish, oysters, scallops, wild hog, and for the less adventurous, chicken, quail and mystery stew. Then there's lots of corn bread, rice, beans and slaw. To be honest I'm not a big meat eater, but I ate my fill that evening and had a great time telling tales around the fire. I lived in Chicago for 30 years before moving back to my hometown in SC. Getting together with folks like we did that night is one of the reasons I've enjoyed being back home once again.

:bigsmile:
dhtaxi

Re: Wildlife Dinner

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:58 pm

I live in a typical Town in the UK I wouldnt dream of doing some thing like that in case they stole every thing I owned.
I dont even have my neibours in in case they see anything they might want to come back and steal. And apparently I live in a good neighbourhood.