Lets Hear It For - FRIED BEER!

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Lets Hear It For - FRIED BEER!

Post by Karl/Pa. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Fried Beer: The ultimate fair food?
Leave it to Texas.

One of the finalists in the state fair's fried-food competition has come up with a way to combine Texans' obsession with deep fryers and their love of beer.

That's right — Fried Beer.

Mark Zable's creation is a ravioli-shaped dough pocket that's filled with beer and plunged into a deep fryer. It's a little messy — the beer pours out on the first bite — but you can always sop it up with the dough.
Zabel says he's currently using Guinness but might switch to Shiner Bock — more appropriate for a Texas competition — or a pale ale like Sierra Nevada. It may not matter much — you're not going to pick up a lot of the beer's aroma, flavor and body after it's been heated to 375 degrees.
For those who aren't into beer, there's the Deep Fried Frozen Margarita, a slightly alcoholic snack make with funnel cake batter and served in a salt-rimmed glass.
The two alcoholic treats will be served only to fairgoers 21 or older. A non-alcoholic alternative is Fried Lemonade.
Those offerings, along with other entries including Fried Club Salad, Texas Fried Caviar and Texas Fried Frito Pie, will compete for the Sixth Annual Big Tex Choice Awards. Winners will be named on Labor Day. The foods will be served at the State Fair of Texas, which starts Sept. 24 in Dallas.
If you're tempted to try this at home, we advise against it. Beer and deep fryers generally aren't a good combination. Leave this recipe to the pros.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/42 ... -fair-food
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Aughnanure

Re: Lets Hear It For - FRIED BEER!

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 am

Oh!! Ugh!!!

Erkkk.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:09 pm

What do you expect from a nation that doesn't understand strong but subtle drink Eoin :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 am

They should try it with 'Bud' or Coors

- Face it, there's next to no alcohol to lose and you simply couldn't ruin the taste :razz:
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I had already typed my witty, yet scathing reply to the two previous posts, when I remembered that I promised Robert not to start any problems in the forums. So this is my reply.

Gentlemen,

I disagree with your statements, and propose that you not besmirch the integrity of my homeland any further. And I in return will make no disparaging remarks about the um....... cuntries you live in.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Very good Vern. Stated in a way that couldn't possibly upset anybody.... unless somebody takes offense at the way you spell cuntries . :bigsmile:

I don't want any fried beer of any brand.....unless it is in the batter on the fired oysters or shrimp or fish or crab claws. In such case beer cheaper than Bud and Coors works just fine. I've gotten to where I actually like Miller for drinking ice cold.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Oh my, guess I need spellcheck. :mrgreen:

Vern.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 am

What medication you on Vern, it must be STRONG stuff :loco:
Personally I thing there is a lot of bull talked about booze but it isn't a problem for me. I drink, I fall over - no problem! :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Can't remember the name of the medication, but it has a lot of Xs and Ys in it and it helps me to focus on ............................. oh look, there's a birdie outside my window.

Vern.