Russian Imperial Stout

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

The Virginian
Regular visitor

Russian Imperial Stout

Post by The Virginian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:03 pm

I have really started liking this hoppy strong flavored beer that was brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Court in the 1690s. It has a stonger alcohol content that I am sure the Russians had no problem with and a very hoppy spicy taste. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried any. One of the best in the US is called Old Rasputain.
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Russian Imperial Stout

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Russian Imperial Stout? Never heard of it.... but if it was made in the 1690's it must have a real long shelf life. :loco:

Must be making it again? I like to try different beers, as you can see from my posts in this particular forum.

Do they have the high Alcohol beer in Virginia? Down here in Alabama we just started seeing it. Pretty pricy stuff too. All small batch stuff. Have to give one of them a try one of these days.
The Virginian
Regular visitor

Re: Russian Imperial Stout

Post by The Virginian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 am

Niner: We always have had highier alcohol content beer than most of the South. Imperial Stout was brewed with the highier alcohol content and more hopps to keep it from spoiling back then, but alas none could make it from that time to now. :bigsmile: Virginia was the first colony where the first ales in the English style were brewed and compared to the German traditional cold processed pilsner and larger beers in mass production, they are two different kinds of beer altogether. Personally, I will not drink the mass produced stuff as it is made from inferior ingredients and has very little flavor to me. Definitely try some of the craft brews you are seeing in the stores as you will be pleasantly surprised.
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel: