Carlsberg Elephant

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Carlsberg Elephant

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

In Alabama the alcohol content of beer has been controlled for a long time. The high end used to be about 5%. However, higher alcoholic content beer is now allowed to be sold because of an effort to change the rules by small batch breweries and citizen demand. It also has opened the door for some old line major brewery offerings too. One of them is the Elephant from Carlsberg. It is brewed in Copenhagen Denmark and imported into the US. It's a Pilsner style golden Lager. And....it has a 7.2% alcohal content. Has a smooth taste and not noticably more potent in moderation. It is more expensive though. A six pack is two or three dollars more than other premium imported or domestic beers.

Think I'll stick to the PBR as the kind I stock the beer fridge with. Although.. if the Carlsberg were within a dollar or two of a six pack of PBR I might make the change.
Attachments
IMGP0376.jpg
IMGP0378.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Carlsberg Elephant

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 am

What's PBR?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 am

Pabst Blue Ribbon

Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am

Thank you Karl, looks a bit, well, ordinary.................'Waits for Vern to jump on me'........................ :loco: :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Ordinary is good Duncan. What's wrong with familiar and ordinary? It's liquid comfort food for the alcoholic haze of memory of times long past. And....when you are retired you can afford it better. :bigsmile:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Getting PBR was a treat in Nam, they used to have a lot of Carling Black Label and Falstaff, yuk. :mrgreen:

Alabama has a 13.9% ABV (Alcohol By Volume) cap on beer, so you can get some pretty stout beer, Robert.

Arizona is about the same, a group of friends we drink beer with has a party every year, and everyone has to bring
beer that is over 10%.
And someone always brings one of these in the 3 litre size. :mrgreen:
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/doubleba ... efault.asp

Although it is technically ale, not beer. Is there really a difference? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey Vern, I liked the Falstaff. You know......it was the beer that Dizzy Dean used to sell on the Saturday Baseball Game of the week when he and PeeWee Reese use to call the games. He used to always made it a special point to send out his warmest regards to the Papa Joe Greasydick family. The owners of Falstaff.

The one I hated in Nam was the Hamm's . Now that was skunk beer right up there with the Carling Black Label. But as you and I remember the premium beer just about never made it past the senior NCO's and Officers in the big base camps.

Correct spelling..."Papa Joe" Griesedieck

http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/history- ... rewing.htm
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm

When in base camp, always went to the NCO club because they had good beer and hard liquor drinks.
I still have some 25cent drink chits from NCO club, only place I could get a mixed drink, you had to be an E-6 to buy
a bottle of liquor at the Class-6 store.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

The Alpha company mortar section had an E6 in charge and he was going to some major base once. I asked him to get me a bottle of Early Times. Well...he was E6 alright, but he wasn't 21 yet so they wouldn't sell it to him. The world is insane isn't it? Or is it just the Army?
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Finally remembered what the decent American beer was that we got in Korea. These posts jogged the hazy memory cells (getting hazier every year !). . . . Pabst.
It was the only really good beer that we got, apart from Aussie beer.
When we'd have the 7th Marines over for a visit we'd have to watch them if they hadn't drunk West End before.
The Canteen Manager, Nick Winter, used to insist that all pistols were locked in his room before the festivities began :!:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.