The new "old" Schlitz

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

The new "old" Schlitz

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Once upon a time Schlitz beer, "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" was a premium beer. It fought it out with Budweiser for champion in the American beer premium market and did a pretty good head to head job going back to sometime before I was born. Then in the mid 60's sometime it changed its formula. Turned into about as good an idea as the "new coke" was later. The new version had a distinctive after taste that wasn't....well premium. The brand fell into near nonexistence afterward after a steep downward march over a couple or three years. Then in the last decade or so it was seen on grocery shelves again as the basic cheap beer of no distinction or particular favor or memorable character.

In recent years some of the old brands have made a rebirth. Pabst is considered a popular beer among the young and in the know crowd in the last couple of years. But Pabst was always a working class beer to begin with....not premium. Miller, a shadow of its former self, that had been premium still makes Miller Lite which has a good market at the "premium" level, and even Miller High Life is doing some heavy hitting at the bottom of the beer market with a lot of advertisement, trinkets you can get for points on the cartons, and promotions to raise money for returning vets of the latest perpetual conflicts.

I noticed in the grocery today this back to the 60's Schlitz beer. The "Classic '60's Formula". It was priced like American premium...about like the Miller Lite and the Bud. I had to give it a taste.

I started the 60's in my young teen years and went through High School and College and into the military. I had some beer education along the way. I remember Schlitz changed its formula sometime in my passage and I remember the skunk after taste. It wasn't a favorite. But since half a century has gone by..... I had to try it.

Well....it is mostly flavorless...which most American premium beers are now days.....but it would go good with boiled shrimp or spicy boiled craw fish. It does seem better than the cheap version that preceded it for a dozen years or so. It didn't reproduce the skunk taste. Maybe it went back to the before the skunk formula. Not bad....but not anything I'm excited about either.
Attachments
IMGP1101.jpg
IMGP1109.jpg
IMGP1110.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The new "old" Schlitz

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 am

I remember drinking Schlitz in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and Chicago in 1966. We had to sprinkle salt in it to get rid of all the gas. I also remember getting back on board the ship and washing my mouth out with a few cans of Tennents Export or McEwans Export to help me sleep :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

PBR, don't think I have had one since before I joined the AF in 03/72

We had PBR tee shirts that got us banned from the recreation centers in St.Pete the previous summer.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Aaahh PBR. A poster on the wall of a bar on the Gulf Coast.

Thought the three letters at the bottom right said "P... something else Responsibly" first time I saw it. :loco:
Attachments
DSC00551.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm

An Advertisement from a hundred years ago.

Must still be around because of the great advertisement. :bigsmile:
Attachments
DSC02113.jpg
DSC02112.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Miller responds to the Dark Bottle advertisement of Schlitz. "common beer comes in dark bottles."
Attachments
DSC02634.jpg
DSC02633.jpg