Swiss Cleaning Kits

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

ArchFluffy

Swiss Cleaning Kits

Post by ArchFluffy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 pm

The older straight-pull rifles (K31 and earlier) used a yellow grease called Waffenfett. It was made out of natural things like lanolin and was even used to rub on the stock (though it was not the stock finish). It comes in yellow jars that have instructions in French, German and Italian, the major languages in Switzerland. See also a pull though, mirror, and a chamber cleaning too. Often times you will find that the chamber tool has a mesh over the end. The kit originally came with mesh squares and cotton patches.
swiss clean kit1.jpg
This is for the Automatic STGW57. It is usable for older Swiss rifles too since they are the same caliber. In fact, it would be useful for most any 30 cal. The grease is black though, so don't use it on your wooden stock. From what I read this grease called Automatenfett looks to be lithium and molybdenum disulfide. The pull-though has been replaced by a segmented rod. The section with the cleaning jag rotates to follow the rifling.
swiss clean kit 2.jpg
swiss clean kit 2.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
More rarely seen are kits like this. There are different types but they are all shorter than barrel length when extended. They were found at the shooting ranges and used to grease the bore right after shooting was completed. This made cleaning at home a snap. I think the cleaning jag was to remove any excess grease before shooting.
swiss clean kit 3.jpg
The Swiss also had pistols and so they had cleaning kits for them too. All the cleaning bits go into the body of that black thing for storage and screw into the end for use. Neat. The kits also came with grease and cotton patches.
swiss cleaning kit 4.jpg
swiss cleaning kit 4.jpg (24.89 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Keep it clean, gang! :SWI:

-ArchFluffy

*I don't own the pics
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Swiss Cleaning Kits

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:38 am

The black grease in the kit that I got for Robert smelled and looked very like some Graphite grease that I have. Great lubricant but MESSY!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

Very interesting post Arch. And it's instructional and relevant to mislurps........unlike most of my posts :oops: :oops: :oops:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Yer photo's have gone Arch,
Use mine mate.........

1) Image

2)Image

Sorry but I don't have one for the third picture...........
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 pm

The images are still there ....for me....at the moment. The cursed Photobucket is the reason the photos may have gone away for you Duncan.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Back now Robert.still, you can't have too much of a good thing !!!!!!
Duncan

ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Glad you like the post.

And thanks to DiF for backing me up with pics. I need all the help I can get. :loco:

-ArchFluffy
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:22 pm

I have the stgw 57 one, really handy kit that i carry everywhere in the car.
Joe
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm

I have the STGW57 and it is a great kit. I also have the German kit for the G3, although I
don't like the pull-through type and still not sure of the correct way to use the cloth cleaning
strings. But I use patches and one piece cleaning rods, so none of them get used much..... :roll:
Maybe I bought them because they look cool, who knows......... :mrgreen:

Attachments
kit.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Niner Delta,

I'm like you. I seem to buy the cleaning kits that go with the rifles I get but when I do my cleaning I use a one piece rod.

When I first started shooting though a stgw57 kit was what I used (old grease and all). ;)

-ArchFluffy