Recommendations for entry level trap gun?

Shotguns for clay, fur, feather and all other applications. New or old. Expensive masterpiece or plain and practical.

Moderator: blackisler

PeterN2

Re: Recommendations for entry level trap gun?

Post by PeterN2 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:46 pm

I never got into computer games. I always got killed or lost my three lives in nthe first couple of minutes when I did have a go years ago. No idea what games they were. I thought that this is not for me. The last game I had a go at was candy crush on an Ipad. My wife took that over.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed May 13, 2015 4:00 pm

I like the xbox360 games. Right now I'm playing through the Assassin's Creed EZIO trilogy. The graphics now day are so much better than they were even a handful of years ago. Haven't ever tried any online gaming. I don't even do the Xbox Gold subscription stuff and play other players.
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Wed May 13, 2015 6:28 pm

I've tried the consoles but found the xbox can not compare with the pc when it comes to graphics and fluidity of play. Its incredible to play with 1920x1600 resolution on dual video cards. I play on a 24" monitor with an 8core i7 processor, 32 gig of ram, two solid state hard drives. Most games arent available on the pc platform anymore. The games are written on pc's and thats the fastest play. Unfortunately as you can see to get this great play you have to have a couple of grand in your machine.....oh, did I mention its also water cooled? :shock: In the winter the computer heats my man cave...
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol:
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Shotgun fit is critical

Post by NuJudge » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:53 am

The usual shotgun sold in the USA is made for a male, about 5' 7" height, about 180 pounds weight, right handed. They typically have a distance between the trigger and the butt ("pull") of about 14.25". This generally works well for a lot of people, and a lot of uses, but generally not Trap. For Trap, most people like a higher Comb on the stock than is usual. The typical new shotgun sold in the USA today has replaceable choke tubes, but this has only been the case since the 1990's.

I do not shoot much Trap. Various times of the year, I shoot a good bit of Skeet. Until I worked with shotgun fitters, I broke 13-15 out of 25 at Skeet. After working with a shotgun fitter, I shot a consistent 21-23 out of 25.

Lots of things can cause wide variation from the norm. Two shotgun fitters have worked with me on my shotguns, one telling me I need a 16" pull, the other telling me 15 and 5/8". I am far taller than average, with long arms, and certain habits from rifle shooting make me need an even longer pull.

Retailers such as Midway can sell you various devices to lengthen the butt or raise the comb, without the assistance of a stock fitter. When I am shooting a shotgun that has not been modified for me, for length I use a slip-on velcro-closed 'boot', with cut to fit spacers between the butt and boot. For comb height I use a velcro-ed down sheet of neoprene with spacers under it.

If you are going to shoot a lot of Trap, you will be shooting a lot of ammo. Lesser brands break when shot a lot. Double guns cost a lot to fix when they break. Pumps and autos typically don't cost a lot to fix when they break. My best shooting shotgun is the homeliest and cheapest: a Mossberg 500 with dual action bars, and has not broken anything after maybe 10,000 rounds. On a friend's Mossberg with a single action bar in 20 gauge, I did manage to break the single action bar. My Browning double was my father's, is 60 years old, has shot countless thousands of rounds, and has never broken anything. My Remington 1100 shotguns have fired countless thousands of rounds, and have broken barrel supports, but that is easily replaced. I have a Valmet that has fired quite a few thousand rounds, with no issues, but it is no longer made, so if anything breaks it is a wall hanger. I have a Franchi double, which is a delight, but it had a problem with doubling initially, but after rework and about 5000 rounds there has been no re-occurence.