Mossberg....

Shotguns for clay, fur, feather and all other applications. New or old. Expensive masterpiece or plain and practical.

Moderator: blackisler

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Mossberg....

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Recently a friend of a friend bought a gun collection from a woman whose husband passed.
There were a couple of shotguns he didn't want so he said he would sell them cheap. I liked this
Mossberg 500, and yes, it is the Ford (or Chevrolet) of shotguns. They always work, they are cheap
and there are a zillion of them made in countless configurations. Even the military has used them
at different times. This one is the all black 12ga., 7+1, 20" barrel. It's a tactical (home defense)
design and they have been making the 500 model since 1960. Anyway, the guy wanted $200 so I
bought it, even had the chicken pad already on it. Contacted Mossberg and they said it was made
in Feb 2010. Took it apart and realized..... it had never been fired..... :shock:
The outside looked new so I figured it hadn't been fired much.... but never!!
Talked to the guy and he said several of the guns in the collection had never been fired.
I had a scope rail for this shotgun that I bought by accident, so I dug it out and put it on.
Maybe a nice scope would be useful for precision targeting...... :lol:

DSC01410 - Copy.JPG
DSC01412 - Copy.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Mossberg....

Post by Niner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Cool. Great home defense gun if you don't mind destroying the furniture while taking care of the bad guys.

I love a pump. The ka..chunk as you rack the slide gives the shooter courage and scares the crap out of the bad guy.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I agree about the sound, racking the slide is a noise you can't miss.
Have thought about getting a stock that has a pistol grip, maybe sometime. The thing about
these is that it's like an AR, in that you can change it so many ways. There are so many bolt on
accessories that you make it into anything you want.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:08 am

I know what you mean Vern......... :roll:
Attachments
guny_for_conceptart_org_idw_by_westonboege.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:11 pm

"Steampunk" is popular around here, they have a yearly festival in the next town over.
This rifle would be a real hit.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NuJudge
Contributing Member

Get a rifled barrel and scope to go on the rail

Post by NuJudge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I won a Mossberg 500 in a pistol match some 30 years ago. Homely as a mud fence, so it sat in the box, in my closet for several years. One day I pulled it out and took it Skeet shooting, and it shot really well. I seemingly could get away with much less lead on the full deflection #4 station. I shot my first 25 in Skeet with it.

All kinds of attachments are available: I even have a muzzle loader barrel! I have shot deer with the rifled barrel that is available, with a scope mounted on the receiver. I found it to be very accurate, especially with the Remington solid copper hollow points.

I have one of the 20 gauge versions also, which also shoots very well for me. I also have a rifled barrel for it, but it has a scope mount which is a part of the barrel, a preferable arrangement.