Collecting shotguns

Shotguns for clay, fur, feather and all other applications. New or old. Expensive masterpiece or plain and practical.

Moderator: blackisler

PeterN2

Collecting shotguns

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 pm

I was wondering if anyone here collects shotguns. I have strayed from milsurps and got a couple of Browning Double Automatics, a steel action and a Twelvette and a Browning 2000. I am looking to add an Auto 5 and maybe a Breda to the collection. I intend to stay with vintage semi-autos, probably recoil operated ones, rather than gassers although the B2000 is a gasser. I called at a local shop recently to ask if they ever got any Auto 5s in. The manager said the owner would not let a pump or semi auto into the shop. He just about tolerates over unders but the side by side, preferably English, is the only proper shotgun for him to sell in his shop.
Regards
Peter.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Re: Collecting shotguns

Post by blackisler » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi Peter,
I dont suppose you could post some pics of the Browning double autos please , Thanks.
Robert
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm

I have never taken any photos of my shotguns. I will get some done though it will be a few days before I can get them done.

Regards
Peter
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Finally got a few pics of the double autos. The one with the light grey alloy receiver is the Twelvette, the other is the steel receiver standard model. The barrels interchange between the two and I have a spare 26 inch plain barrel also. As far as I can find out, these both date from the late 1950s. I have never had a cycling malfunction with them. The steel one had a problem with not setting the trigger for the second shot so I took it apart and found it was some old oily crud that was sometimes stopping the disconnector resetting on the sear. I gave it a clean and not a problem since.
Dble auto butt and action.JPG
Dble auto barrels.JPG
Dble auto action close.JPG
Dble auto action.JPG
Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 am

Very nice Peter, they do you credit :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 pm

those are indeed beautys , ive yet to find a decent auto ,

so far i have a stevens double s/s 511 in 12 ga that dates to the early 30s , a stevens double s/s in 410ga that dates to the early 50s , a martini 12ga that dates 1888 , and a winchester 1300 pump that dates to the 80s -

i have a 12ga double s/s coach gun for SASS cowboy action shooting of current vintage and

i gave my current remington 870 pump to my son to entice him to shoot three gun competitions with me ,

i dont see myself collecting these however :SCO:
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 am

I can't say I collect shotguns, as that would imply they have extra value. Instead, I accumulate shotguns. :D
I have 13 - singles, doubles, and pumps. Most were well used, a few were new, and 2 were free and in need of repair.
My favorite is a 20 ga H&R Topper Classic Youth Model single shot, beautiful figured walnut stock. My around-the-farm daily companion is a Stoeger Uplander SXS in 20 ga. If it ever becomes time to "repel boarders" it's an Ithaca 37 Police Special 12 ga (18" barrel, cylinder bore, rifle sights) .
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 pm

since last post ive found a weatherby SA-08 auto for my three gun needs and given the 1300 to my son - he in turn passed the 870 to his bride for her three gun use , and i found an old SS 410 break in the closet , suddenly shotguns are growing in the dark :lol:
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Sun May 02, 2010 12:41 pm

I have just added a Zaballa double trigger [non selective] non ejector over/under with 26 inch barrels with 1/2 and full choke. will add pics when i can.
Robert :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come