Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy)

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy)

Post by Woftam » Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Image heavy ? You're not bloody wrong :shock:
Great guns, great photos.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Thu May 21, 2009 2:21 pm

what a really good looking bunch of revolvers and kit.
stripperclip
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Mon May 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks for posting your goodies Drake, i particularly enjoyed the detailed pics of the Prideaux Loader and the .22 conversion.

Joe
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Wow. Just... Wow.

I bought a Webley Mk IV a couple of months ago, and haven't found much info. I found more just now than everywhere else put together.
I was rather proud to have gotten a canvas holster and lanyard with mine, but feel pretty inadequate now...

I didn't even know a Prideaux Loader or .22 Conversion existed. I've been threatening to shoot an IDPA match with mine, but now I just have to have a Prideaux Loader to use if I do!

I've only shot mine a couple of times, but it seems to be sensitive to changes in the ammo. I shot a couple of nice tidy goups with one load, then changed to a different powder and had 8" groups. Next time, I used the same load that shot so well and it did the same, but increasing the powder charge by .3 grain (still within limits) gave me keyholing bullets.

Question:
Were there seperate models for the military and for police?
I got a reproduced manual of the Webley MK IV, and some details shown in it are different from my revolver. While my gun and those in the manual are all Webley MK IVs, there are some small differences. I will have to dig the manual out, but off the top of my head:
In the manual- The backstrap (just above where the grip panels end) is shaped differently. It also talks about pinned-in interchangeable front sights (for the two bullet weights) and my sight appears fixed. There is also no mention of the crossbolt safety, which mine has.
Mine is marked "SPF", which I understand to be Singapore Police Force, so I would assume it to be a police version...if there is such a thing.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 am

Welcome Barry.
You are certainly in the right place for help and info here although not from me as I know :cry: about revolvers. I do have some copy manuals on some DVD's so will see if I have anything on Webly Revolvers. If so I will let you have the info. :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks!
Drake
Regular visitor

Post by Drake » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Barry in IN wrote: Question:
Were there seperate models for the military and for police?
I got a reproduced manual of the Webley MK IV, and some details shown in it are different from my revolver. While my gun and those in the manual are all Webley MK IVs, there are some small differences. I will have to dig the manual out, but off the top of my head:
In the manual- The backstrap (just above where the grip panels end) is shaped differently. It also talks about pinned-in interchangeable front sights (for the two bullet weights) and my sight appears fixed. There is also no mention of the crossbolt safety, which mine has.
Mine is marked "SPF", which I understand to be Singapore Police Force, so I would assume it to be a police version...if there is such a thing.
There were two primary production models and a few sub-models.

The primary model was the standard Mark IV, which was the pistol submitted to the British government during the 1930's and later adopted as 'substitute standard' during WWII. This model has fixed sights (front and rear) and no safety. This version was produced in 4" and 5" barrels and was sold to police forces as well as the government issue.

The 'Commercial Model' has reshaped grip panels and an added crossbolt safety, this was the model sold to the Singapore Police and sounds like the model you have.

There were a few target models with laterally adjustable rear sights (in 5", 6" postwar), 3" pocket model with shorter grip frame (and crossbolt safety), there were also models made in .32 and .22 rimfire.

I'm unaware of any interchangeable front sights on the Webley Mark IV, but the Mark VI and Enfield No2 have removable front sights. These aren't pinned, they are fixed with a small screw. Since the Mark IV was not adopted for service until well into WWII, long after the adoption of the 178gr MkII cartridge and retirement of the soft lead 200gr MkI bullet, I imagine the Mark IV's you will encounter will be calibrated for the lighter bullet.

Standard .38 S&W shoots fairly close to point of aim in my experience, however. My 1937 Enfield No2 MkI actually came with a very short front sight, which was possibly calibrated for the heavier 200gr bullet considering the date of the pistol - I was constantly hitting high. I picked up a front sight blade for the later MkI* and MkI** pistols and it corrected the problem.

Here's a photo of my Mark IV with the snazzy patch that showed up in my mailbox. Thanks, Niner!

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/120609/1640641.jpeg[/pic]
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:48 am

Drake wrote: The 'Commercial Model' has reshaped grip panels and an added crossbolt safety, this was the model sold to the Singapore Police and sounds like the model you have.
Sounds like mine.
I had the impression that the frame tang was a different shape and the grip panels were the same, but that appears to be the reverse of the case. While the shape is subtly different, the frame is not taller as I thought, but rather, the grip panels are shorter. I didn't have a good view of a military model before with which to compare.
I'm unaware of any interchangeable front sights on the Webley Mark IV, but the Mark VI and Enfield No2 have removable front sights. These aren't pinned, they are fixed with a small screw.
It's in that Webley Mark IV manual reprint I have, but as I have found with other things- being in a manual does not mean it happened in real life. There are no photos of the revolver in it, only drawings. I see no way to change front sight height on mine without a file or a gunsmith.

Thank you for the info.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm

I do have some copy manuals on some DVD's so will see if I have anything on Webly Revolvers. If so I will let you have the info.
OK Barry, I have some Armourers Files info on .38 Enfield/Webley & Smith & Wesson but it is 70MB so if you PM me an address I will burn you a copy and post it out. I have also go a copy of 'Regs for Army Ordnance Services Part 7. Pamphlet No: 11. Small Arms Ammunition dated 24th Feb 1945 That goes for anyone else too.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Barry in IN

Post by Barry in IN » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:16 pm

PM sent.
Thank you!