Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy)

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Re: Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy)

Post by Reese Williams » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm

You won't damage the firing pin nose, but you can enlarge the hole in the recoil shield where the firing pin goes through. In general dry firing is not a good idea unless you use snap caps or some other dry firing device. There was a purpose made dry firing piece for Webleys. It was a spring steel and leather piece that slipped over the hammer.
Drake
Regular visitor

Post by Drake » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Reese Williams wrote:You won't damage the firing pin nose, but you can enlarge the hole in the recoil shield where the firing pin goes through. In general dry firing is not a good idea unless you use snap caps or some other dry firing device. There was a purpose made dry firing piece for Webleys. It was a spring steel and leather piece that slipped over the hammer.
I don't think you can enlarge the recoil plate's firing pin hole on an Enfield No2 - it's already far oversized! The hammer body stops when it contacts the frame, the nose doesn't strike anything if a round is not loaded. I've seen photos of the dry fire device, that was for the Webley Mark VI. Never seen one in person, though. Still, I'd avoid excessive dry fire a with any classic firearm. It's interesting to note that a WWI-era British combat revolver book mentions that dry firing should be practiced until one can cycle the pistol in double action at least sixty times in one minute with no major fatigue to the hand or arm muscles.

The hammer protector was introduced in 1894 but not considered by the military until 1919. Here's a photo from my copy of 'Revolvers of the British Services'.

http://imgur.com/mFDKk.jpg[/pic]
thundermug

Post by thundermug » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll get some snap caps and take it easy, just to be safe.

Drake,

I received my Enfield No2 Mk1** today. It is the "tanker" model, but I would really like to have a gunsmith take out the bobbed hammer and replace it with a spurred hammer. From what you wrote, that's all that needs to happen for an Enfield to be single/double action. But those hammers aren't easy to come by.

Do you have one I could purchase, or know of a good source/gunsmith? I need to get the gun cleaned and examined to make sure it is in proper working order, anyway. Also, I really like the look of the walnut grips on your Enfield. That is, the ones that aren't contoured or "comfort grip".
m3bobby

Post by m3bobby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 am

Hi, I'm new on the forum and I noticed this thread. I've an intrest in the No.2 revolver having 7 of them, my earliest is this 1929 dated example which oddly has No2 Mk. pantographed on it with no 1 after the Mk. It originally had no hammer stop or groove and was returned to the factory to be upgraded.

The next earliest is a early 1930 which is also one of my best examples.

ATB, Chris.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Welcome to these forums m3bobby I hope you will find us a nice bunch.
That is a nice looking webley you have and look forward to hearing more from you about them
Robert :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
Drake
Regular visitor

Post by Drake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:25 pm

m3bobby wrote: It originally had no hammer stop or groove and was returned to the factory to be upgraded.
That's a handsome, very early example you've got. I believe 1929 was the first year of regular production, after the prototypes and toolroom samples. The dating coincides with what you've determined. The hammer block safety was first added in early 1931 after reports of accidental discharges if the revolvers were dropped or struck on the hammer. Odd the hammer block safety would be removed late in the wartime years as a cost saving measure.
m3bobby

Post by m3bobby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks guys, its number 177 which matches my early Bren gun, no M177 purely by chance. I have a early driftable back sight to go on it at some point to bring it back to its early spec. I also have No 489 which is 1930 dated and is my best example, and 1931 dated A1153.

ATB, Chris.
Varangian

Re: Webley & Enfield Revolvers (image intensive)

Post by Varangian » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Drake wrote:This particular revolver was carried by Lieutenant John Seymour Pears during the invasion of Italy in 1943. His name and address is on the backstrap. Unfortunately since WWII records aren't public information yet I can't request a copy of his medal card or any other information.

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/190509/1245446.jpeg[/pic]
Hate to grave dig, but there is some info on your Lieutenant online...

http://www.felbridge.org.uk/index.php?p=2_43
Harry Pears was the son of Kilby Pears, a pharmaceutical chemist who had set up a manufacturing chemist company in the early 1870’s, operating from 16, Western Road, Hove, Sussex. Harry joined his father in the business about 1890, and the company changed its name from Kilby Pears Pharmaceutical Chemist to Kilby Pears & Son. The company disappeared between 1899 and 1909, and the whereabouts of the Pears family is unknown until 1924, when Harry W K Pears arrives at Newchapel House. The Pears’ made few alterations to the house during their ownership of nearly thirty years, except installing a staircase leading from the music gallery to the second floor, and adorn the walls of the hall with a selection of arms and armour that Harry Pears had acquired from the Mapleton Collection.

The Pears family included a son, John Seymour and a daughter, Nira Kathleen, although local legend suggests that there was a second son who was killed in World War II, but to date no details have been found. What is known is that John was born in 1915, and attained a BA at Trinity College. With the outbreak of World War II, he enlisted with the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons), Royal Armoured Corps. He was part of the Allied forces that invaded the Italian mainland on 3rd September 1943, but his active service was cut short as he lost his life on 20th October the same year. Lieutenant John Seymour Pears, 13257, was buried in Minturno War Cemetary, in Italy. The Pears family were said to be devastated, not only had they lost a son, or possibly two, but also they no longer had an heir to whom Newchapel House would pass.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Great first post Varangian. That adds something to the history of that particular collectible that most of us would love to know about if we owned it.
The Virginian
Regular visitor

Re: Webley & Enfield revolvers with accessories (image heavy

Post by The Virginian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 pm

:rebel: Very nice photos and great discussion...thanks guys!
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel: