1878 Martini Henry mud puppy

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

bradtx
Contributing Member

Re: 1878 Martini Henry mud puppy

Post by bradtx » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 am

Niner, I read that the design of the blade is for severing various insundry things and based, in part, on a sythe.

Brad

PS Here's something I just found on the web... http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=95421
Last edited by bradtx on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krull
Regular visitor

Post by Krull » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 am

Wow,and here I thought I had seen,and owned,some beat up guns.
Nice job,and that's a good Khuk,but I know where to get new made M43 Khuks,made in Nepal.
:pirate:
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."-Lovecraft.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks Brad. That is a good link.
Krull, I'd be interested in knowing the source you have for the Nepal made version. I found a site on the internet of a shop in Nepal that claims to make the correct ones but the freight was as much as the knife. They have two other sites that sell the same stuff from the same store for some reason.
Krull
Regular visitor

Post by Krull » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Ok if I post a link? they're in Reno NV and while they're not as cheap as any of the other places you could mention (expect to pay about $130 for an M43) the shipping is local and comes via USPS insured priority mail.

I also know the owners on another forum,nice older lady who's from Nepal.

All knives are made by Kamis by hand at the foot of the Himalayas and range from shiny stuff to left-in-the-black villager khuks..also swords.

I'll post a link to the shop if it's ok.

ETA:

Anyplace I can post knife pics? I have a villager Khuk and a Panuti,farmers knife from from a village with that name in Nepal.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:45 pm

You can post links. Just paste in the url in a post.

Photos can be attached from your computer. Hit the upload attachement in the bottom of a post screen. Then hit the browse and then attach. If they aren't gigantic photos...and are jpgs... they will attach and post.
Krull
Regular visitor

Post by Krull » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Ok,un I just don't want to litter this post with off topic stuff :)

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

My villager Khuk (I need to get better pics of the Panuti)

What you'd find or anybody's belt in Nepal,not pretty just ment to work.
Their other knives are very shiny and pretty,I like them but prefer these rougher ones for use.
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 pm

If you are looking for Kukuri check with IMA along with all the guns they brought back were a large number kukuri's.

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/ ... 84458de98a

These are not reproductions!
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:39 am

Yep, DoubleD, looks like real ones for sure. Little on the rusty side from the photos....which is in keeping with the rifles though. And they don't seem to be worth what they are asking for them.....at least to me.

Here is another source that offers some from Atlanta Cutlery's part of the Nepal loot. This company even pays the freight. And... I wouldn't be surprised if this knife wasn't shipped direct from Atlanta Cutlery because of my experience expressed in the black powder forum. Another mystery of a sort.

http://www.redfordfilms.com/product/AC4 ... Kukri.html

However, I think I'm now all done with this particular adventure.
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:20 am

IMA and Atlanta Cutlery partnered up to get the weaopns our of Nepal and them split the Cache.

As to price, first these kukuri's are the real deal and not repro's.

Second when the Martini's were released we screamed over the prices they were asking, Those prices haven't changed and now drive the market. The same will probably apply to the kukri's.
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 am

The Atlanta Cutlery link to Redfordfilms is the thing that interests me. They were offering the 1878's from Atlanta Cutlery for $130 and free shipping just recently. They must have sold them all since I don't see it advertised any longer. The 1853 you will see me post about in another string came from Redford but was shipped from Atlanta Cutlery at 20% less than Atlanta Cutlery is offering them for...and had free shipping. This is at least as much less than IMA.

I think the prices will do nothing be get stronger over time because of the association with where they came from and how they were obtained. Even though, as a friend pointed out to me, they are close to junk in their received state, their value lies not in their shooting status but their curiosity. .