Bisley Historical arms meeting and meeting people...

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Well, I’m back again, tired but happy. It is a nice habit, returning each year to the Imperial meeting at Bisley for some sinfully good shooting and meeting fellow shooters after a long time.

One of the problems is that the number of events on the programme is so varied, that it is quite impossible to shoot them all. I limited myself to 7 matches for 1 ½ days, which doesn’t require you to run all over the place trying to get there in time for the next match…

I arrived on friday, and met up with Adam and Jim from the Milsurpafterhours forum in the Artists for some refreshments, after which I had dinner in the Hunter’s lodge.

The day after was the 1st match day. Most events I shot on both days were (of course!) BP matches, with 2 gallery matches thrown in for good measure. Some prone events, some standing events.

I started out saturday in the very 1st relay shooting the Greener GP in the Any vintage BP rifle category, prone 200 yds. Next to me was a .45-90 Hiwall shooter giving me some stiff competition. Conditions were a bit difficult – the wind was variable, and turned several times. That match I finished with a 44 – 2x (out of 50). Then I met up with Daryl and Daniel for our little informal Martini comp – we were all shooting 577-450 rifles in the 200 yds prone service rifle event. I didn’t shoot all that good – as an excuse , I shot the LSA for the 1st time at 200, so the 1st shots I was still trying to find a decent aiming point… I also saw Daryl’s W-R shooting his prone match rifle, and he turned in a quite creditable performance for its 1st outing at 200.

http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/DarylWR1.jpg[/pic]

http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/DarylWR2.jpg[/pic]

His Martini is nice too, mind you…

I also shot the standing service rifle event with the LSA 577-450, and actually shot a better score than in prone… Still, TJ and his (ugly, but very effective) Mauser punched in a better score, and he even succeeded in winning this match! Obviously, the man does know how to shoot from his hind legs…

On the other hand, my offhand performance was pretty meager – the afternoon I did enter in the Schuetzen event with the GP 45-70 (shooting black of course), but somehow I couldn’t make it ‘work’. Still, 20 shots makes good offhand practice, sorely needed…

This pic is not me, but still a schuetzen pics...

http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/Schuetzen.jpg[/pic]

Next one was a new match for me – ‘running deer’. Basically, there is a running deer silhouette moving from in front of you, and you are supposed to hit the ‘kill zone’ before it disappears on the initial run, and also on the return (weird deer, consists of 2 front ends pasted together…). Here a pic of Adam doing his thing on the deer:

http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/AdamRD.jpg[/pic]

I had specially brought along my Bonehill sporter in 500/450 #2 along for the event. Only one problem – time and BP fouling… Because of the load I used and the bullet configuration, I was obliged to run a damp patch between shots down the barrel, to be able to chamber the next round. But the shoot itself is a blast! Next time, I need to get another bullet (a non-borerider) for the rifle so that I can get off at least 2 shots before having to rod the barrel. Oh yes – I hit the deer every time when moving from right to left, but on the return leg I only hit it once (in the killing zone, that is…)– with the very last shot… So the deer had better run the right way when I go deerhunting J!

The day after was rather calm – only 2 gallery events, both at 50 yds. I managed to shoot only mediocre scores

I also met up with Richard, a fellow Martini addict, and saw him perform with his Martini in both the prone precision and rapid fire events – quite impressive to see him blasting away about 14 rounds in a single minute, shooting a nice score too!

http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/RichardMM1.jpg[/pic]

Evenings were filled with several post-shooting activities (among which drinking beer, of course…). In all, I had 2 very nice days in Bisley, filled with shooting and meeting up with fellow shooters. A very nice event indeed, in a unique setting. Only problem was I missed the ferry on the way back, but that was a minor inconvenience… At any rate, I’ll be back!
Strangely Brown

Post by Strangely Brown » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:34 pm

Great pictures Gert, I'm sorry I missed you but I was there Monday through to Thursday morning and couldn't make the Sunday, but I did see your car parked outside the South London Rifle Club on Saturday morning so knew you had made it over on the ferry.

I had to go back to Bisley to deliver a telescope to somebody and drove round and finally met up with Adam & Jim. I reckon it will be the Trafalgar before we meet, see you there!
Mick
belgmart
Contributing Member

No trafalgar for me...

Post by belgmart » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:35 am

unfortunately - I already know I won't be able to make it. :(

Still, I hope to be able to come over for one of the HBSA shoots.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:59 am

Thanks for the post and pictures Gert.

It was good to meet up with you shame you won't make it to the Trafalgar.

Those running deer are fun though aren't they?

Jim's scoring ricochet was a classic.

I've still got put my post up yet haven't had much time since I came back.

Next week perhaps.
ImageImage
belgmart
Contributing Member

The running deer...

Post by belgmart » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:03 am

sure was fun - quite an experience! I will for sure have another try next time - same rifle, but different bullet, so I can do more shooting than cleaning... I actually never expected to hit as much as I did, never having shot the rifle past 50 yds, so it was quite a nice surprise. And next time, I'll hit the deer also on the way back...