Tell me about this Curry stuff

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Niner
Site Admin

Tell me about this Curry stuff

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 pm

I've noted the Brits saying one thing or another about Curry from time to time. I understand in the UK it's about as popular as hamburger, pizza and fried chicken in the US. And I know curry started in India, Pakistan and other such Muslem or Hindu countries and that the UK has a lot of new citizens from countries that are of like origins ......as well as having long ties to India from centuries past......... so it comes as not all that much of a surprise.

I found a recipe as an example. At first blush it starts with 12 slices of bacon. Hardly anything any Moslem would start with and probably few Hindus.....and certainly no heart doctors of whatever religious notion...particularly since it doesn't look like the cook drains any of the cooked grease off. And when it is all boiled down with all sorts of spices and celery, garlic and onions and other stuff you throw in some shrimp or chicken.

It's kinda like gumbo but ..... too many exotic spices for me.

I've eaten in an Indian restaurant in Mobile a few times....with a friend who was born in Pakistan and a "regular" anglo American who had spent a number of years in India. We all three worked together at the same kind of job during those times. They both thought the food was like home cooking....mothers love in saucey kind of dishes.......although I didn't see anything particularly exciting about any it, except for the strange flavored Indian spices and herbs.

Does this recipe look like Curry to you? I mean particularly the UK guys. Or is this way off the mark? Would you actually consider making this recipe?

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/389336#2459498
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Tell me about this Curry stuff

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 am

If you go for a good curry in Bradford (UK) you should always put the toilet roll in the fridge before you leave the house! :loco: :loco: :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 am

I am a curry freak I have cooked curries for years if they are prepared properly they are good get it wrong and they are yuk.
That recipe is definately not any thing like any curry prepared in the UK that is yuk with a capital Y.
Throw that recipe in the bin dont even go there. If you want to cook curry UK style I will give you a recipe for chicken but you will have to be able to get your hands on some spices to cook it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am

Ok...Dave.....I'd be curious to see what an actual British curry recipe looks like. How about posting it here in this string.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 am

This will probably make Daves toes curl but....

I go the easy route when making a curry, usually chicken & mushroom, prawn & mushroom or beef & you got it, mushroom. Dice the meat or prawns and fry, throw in mushrooms, peppers (not chilli Peppers) onions and fry till cooked. Drain off excess oil and tip in a jar of ready made curry mix, jalfrezi, rogan josh or whatever from the local supermarket, cook through till boiling hot then serve with boiled rice and either poppadoms or naan bread and a ice cold pint of Newcastle Brown Ale. I love it! :D

Never heard of bacon in a curry mind Robert.

Joe
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Joe you did OK until you got to pouring the jar of curry sauce over it. :roll: :roll: .
Ok I will post a recipe watch this space.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Hey Joe, that looks just like what I do and just call stir fry. I use mushroom, onion, mild peppers, and a tender cut of steak cut into thin strips. I sprinkle the steak with Monteal Steak rub and sprinkle with Worcester sauce and Soy sauce. Then I pan fry it. The only difference between your version and mine is the curry seasoning. Maybe yours makes more of a gravy when put on rice.....asside from the indian spices taste?

And while I'm thinking about it..... if you take onion, peppers, and chicken cut into small pieces and add fajita seasoning and fry it then it's Mexican. Just put in a tortilla.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 pm

BASIC CHICKEN CURRY
2 Chicken breasts diced about 1"pieces

4 tablespoons of oil
1 large onion very finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2" square piece of fresh ginger finely chopped
3/4 tea spoon of coriander powder
1/2 tea spoon of turmeric powder
1/4 tea spoon of cumin powder
1/4 tea spoon of garam massala powder
1 tea spoon of paprika powder
1 small green chilli finely chopped
2 large tomatoes chopped in to roughly 1/2 pieces
salt to taste

FOR THE CURRY SAUCE

Heat the oil in pan add onion and saute over a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until a deep golden brown but not burnt.
Add garlic ,ginger and saute for 1 minute

Add the coriander powder and stir for about a minute.
Then add green chilli turmeric, cumin, garam massala and paprika and saute for 30 seconds.

Add 200ml water add tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes

Add the chicken plus a 1/4 pint of water if required saute for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.

Enjoy
Last edited by dhtaxi on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:19 pm

That looks interesting. I'll have to give it a try some time soon.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM making my mouth water just at the thought of it
Robert :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come