From the other collection

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

From the other collection

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:44 pm

I recently added another trumpet to the collection. I saw it on Ebay and what was interesting about it was two things. One, was that it was a stencile with "Royal" as the name and would be a match to a cornet I have with the same name that was Czech made. The other thing that was interesting was that it had a name on the case and a serial number that looked a lot like a WWII service number.

Well.... got the trumpet. Did a google search with the name and came up with an obituary for a guy in Wisconsin who died in the 80's. Turns out he was a WWII vet. The first numbers of the serial number are right for WWII.

The thing about the trumpet.... and WWII ... is that it is a stencile that was probably made in either in Germany or Cechoslovokia, although unlike later years, there is no country of origin stamped on it any place I can find . And... US miltary band members in WWII were usually issued American made instruments. Some were made during the war, although only a limited number as the US band instrument makers were turned into skilled parts contractors. Conn made airplane flying instruments like altimeters and air speed guages and such like. US manufacturers, like Olds, when contracted to make a few band instruments for the miltary, either stamped them US or USN. No instruments were made for the public during the war....like the auto business.

The horn itself is in very good shape. It has little handling evidence. Usually horns that were used to any extent would show wear from the oils in the hand and just the normal handling rub in various places. Also used horns would just about all show some minor dings and repairs from accidents of one sort or other. This one looks very clean.

I wonder if it wasn't some kind of bring back? No way to know.
Attachments
$T2eC16d,!ygE9s7HKKkwBRoPNJsKfQ~~60_57.JPG
fleebay.JPG
DSC02545_zps57977e4f.jpg
DSC02544_zps5248ed9a.jpg
DSC02547_zpse4d90033.jpg
Tom-May
Leading Member

Re: From the other collection

Post by Tom-May » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am

Silly thought (on absolutely no evidence), but could it simply be that, with the rapid expansion of the Army during the war, and the transformation of musical intrument makers; that this was a civilian item 'pressed into service'?
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Niner
Site Admin

Re: From the other collection

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I thought about that, Tom. But the usual thing... as I understand it...was for organized bands in the military to be given issued instruments that were in inventory or made to order by government contract. I' d think this horn was made for the student market of the retail trade. However, we know the government asked for various civilian implements as donations..... binoculars for instance. Maybe this was a donation. However, I'd also think that the number of military bands wouldn't have increased all that much relative to the large increase of combat arms and material support troops. And... I doubt if there were any bands playing on D Day nor anywhere close to any battle.

I think the guy may have picked it up after the war while still in the military and maybe marking time in occupation forces in Germany or some place near. I can understand his addition of a serial number on his case. Don't understand the need for the state name printed on it. And why wouldn't there be a military rank designation next to his name?