ArchFluffy builds planes as a hobby

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

ArchFluffy

ArchFluffy builds planes as a hobby

Post by ArchFluffy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, small model ones at least.

I usually do 1/48 scale propeller planes and then try to sell them on eBay. If they don't sell it's fine because I build what I like anyway. Japanese planes are my niche.

You can find me here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/fluffys-models

Mods, Do pull or edit this posting if it's breaking any rules! Like i have to say that... :P

-ArchFluffy
Niner
Site Admin

Re: ArchFluffy builds planes as a hobby

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Cool Flying Tiger you have in the bunch. I had a gas powered model when I was a kid. It was one of those deals with the strings out to a handle. You pumped in some kind of fuel that would sting if you got it on your hands. You used a battery to get it going. Then you unhooked the battery. It helped if somebody held it long enough for the "pilot" to get to the end of the strings that controlled the flaps. You just watched it as you guided it around in a circle.

I don't think they make them any longer. Now days kids would find that kind of action dull and more trouble than it is worth.

Arch, you aren't breaking any rules. I gave you permission before hand and I gave the moderators notice before you posted this.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Great to have a hobby that pays a bit back, look good Arch...... :razz: :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Those are still popular, called control line, u-line, or u-control models. I even flew those after I got out of
the Army and before I started flying radio control planes. Actually you could stop turning around by flying
a series of loops and figure-8s or turn the other way by flying them upside down. Like any hobby,
some put little rocket engines and big gas engines to make them go really fast (up to 140mph)
or fly acrobatic routines in competition. Some even had a "trigger" on the control handle for a
third line for a throttle. Just punch something like "control line planes" into google or youtube
and you will see they are alive and well..........

You probably had a P-40 similar to the one in photo. They ran on the same fuel used for RC planes
today and had .049 "glow plug" engines. Most were made by Cox, Thimble-Drone, Testors, and a few
others. The problem with the type you had was the hard plastic body, one bad crash and it was ruined.

I actually had the one in the other photo, found that it would go faster without the outer wing and still
do loops....... :mrgreen:

Attachments
Cox.jpg
Cox9.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Yep, Vern. The P40 Flying Tiger. It was plastic and had the glow plug engine like in your picture. But mine was just tan plastic with the teeth decal. No camouflage.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks for the love, guys!

Yes, selling them gets some money out of the hobby. But it also makes room for more planes. These things start to take up space. I also hardly finish one before I have an idea on what to try on the next one. :lol:

It's good to see the string planes still getting some play. I've only ever seen one in use.

-ArchFluffy
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 am

I built Spitfires and Hurricanes as a child, genuine rubber band powered models.

The kits came as printed balsa sheets for self cut out, only the longerons came cut to width.
They were not cut to length and some kits took a bit of figuring out if one was not to end up short of material.

Like everything else during WWII balsa was in short supply.

One had to pick the flying field carefully, I preferred long grass as that cushioned the often not so perfect landing as the 'plane came down without any power.

One American magazine that I got from a GI had plans in it for a twin engine machine that utilized a bamboo double ended connecting rod running from a crank in the fuselage to cranks for each propeller.

I never tried to build one but the concept always fascinated me.

Love your models, keep up the good work.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 am

I remember having a plastic Spitfire control line model. It only flew once - straight up and down. Couldn't get the engine to start after that. Think I swapped it for some H&E mags :shock:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 am

Good to see the art of model making isn't dead .
I had the control line Spitfire which only flew once , My parents bought it for me for my birthday , I was to impatient to wait for my Father to take me out and fly it so off I went with my mate and I promptly crashed it , I will always remember the look of disappointment on my Fathers face when he saw the mess of the crashed plane .
It had a Baby Bee glowplug engine , I did design my own flying wing for the engine , that prop had a habit of giving your fingers the chop .
I think most of my models ended up crashing being blown up or shot with the air rifle .

Dave
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:50 pm

This thread has brought back some memories.
The late Bill Marden, who was a brilliant gunsmith, was also a model plane maker in his spare time.

His most memorable creation, to me, was a British WWI biplane fighter that was flown by remote control.
Bill being a perfectionist he made a .22rf machine gun for it and after a couple of strafing demos the Police Dept. got to hear of it and Bill got a bit of a chewing out and that was the end of a great little project that added realism to model aerial combat!!
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.