ArchFluffy builds planes as a hobby

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: ArchFluffy builds planes as a hobby

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:33 pm

10/10 Arch BUT for me to buy a kit and make it, which is the best?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Oh! you mean what company makes the best kits. ;)

I think Tamiya and Hasegawa are tops for what I'm doing. Their kits are accurate and also well designed for assembly. A company called FineMolds is also very good, in some cases more accurate than Tam or Has but their kits can be fidgety and need more sanding/filling.

It really comes down to individual kits sometimes. Trumpeter, a company from the UK (that's actually Chinese [Trumpeter went out of business and Dragon bought the name]) has released some well made but inaccurate kits. However, their Westland Wyvern is very good. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Nichimo has some inaccurate models too, but their Ki51 "Sonia" is super and has fine surface detail. Sadly, the company shut down just recently and no body really knows why. It looks like the family that runs the company is just done with it. I hope that they sell the Sonia molds to Has for future production.

Oh! and there are lots of detail companies that sell upgrades even for older kits if you want to go that way.

-ArchFluffy
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Just found this site Arch http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html Think I might buy one and have a go :cool: I use to build Airfix kits when I was young ( the 1950's ) and I always wanted a merchant ship that was 'exhibition quality' . I like the look of this one as a starter.......
Attachments
dana_lrg.jpg
dana_lrg.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Kinda pricey model kits there , Duncan.

My favorite model is one that's more "folk art" than exact model. It was made by my father for my son when he was small. I have it displayed on the wall in my den. My father's grandfather on his mother's side was a river boat pilot back over a century ago.
Attachments
DSC03335.jpg
DSC03336.jpg
DSC03337.jpg
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Duncan, Lots of people got their start with airfix. My first model was a destroyer, maybe a Fletcher, by Revell I think. I can still remember the box art. Wow, how many kits have I bought due to box art alone!

That looks like a neat kit, Duncan. I never had much luck with sail :roll: But it sure looks like it would be a center piece. If you go for it let us know.

Niner, I love the river boat! Handmade folk items can show a lot of love. I can see why you kept it and have it on display. Family history too.

-ArchFluffy