Got a photo scanner that's really good

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Got a photo scanner that's really good

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I have an old 35mm scanner that is a piece of crap and I wanted to get a scanner that would scan 35mm and 120mm negatives and convert them to positives for saving to disk or getting prints made cheap. I also recently have picked up a couple of new to me film cameras cheap and wanted to play with them. Duncan explained it was easier to develop your own film and then scan the negatives.....so I'm off on this tangent.

Just to give you an idea of what this new Epson V600 will do, I'll attach an image that is a scan I just made from an old negative. You can tell it's old because I'll attach a more recent digital camera image that shows an entirely different high rise bridge in the same location. The old one had a tender who had to open and close it every time a sailboat wanted in or out of the river.

This scanner is supposed to have a program where you can scan text and copy to a post on the internet as easy as a copy and paste. Haven't tried that yet. One thing about the purposeful photography scanner is that you have a light in the lid that can be open or covered depending on if you want to scan a negative or slide ..or just a flat printed image. You need the light to backlight the scan of a transparent negative or slide. .
Attachments
img008.jpg
IMGP2226.jpg
SCANNER.jpg
SCANNER.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Got a photo scanner that's really good

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 pm

The programme is ABBYY Reader Robert and it is really very good.
I use it to scan French documents which are then re-produced in Word so I can copy and paste the text into Google Translate. I then translate from French to English........... :razz: :razz:
My scanner is an Epson V330 which also scans negatives and slide film but only 35mm.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Got a photo scanner that's really good

Post by Niner » Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 am

I was scanning some old negatives yesterday that hadn't been stored in the house but out in the garage storage room. The idea was to salvage them as best I could. I came to one image that was half obscured by the processor tag. But since this new scanner can scan to really large pixel counts I just scanned it at a high count and then cropped it. The cropped image was still over 5800 pixels wide.

Somehow I remember the day about 30 years ago. The picture shows my two children going down a lane at their mother's old home place. There never was a hard copy photo ...or if it was... it was ruined by the tag.
Attachments
img162.jpg
fix.jpg