Retirement Project........Part 1!

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Retirement Project........Part 1!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:05 am

After chatting with ArchFluffy and looking around I have decided that building a scale model would be an interesting project for my first winter as a Pensioner :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had initially settled on a model Danish fishing boat by Billing Boats called DANA but after wandering around the pages of a company called Cornwall Model Boats http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/index.html I found this beauty

Lady Nelson - Cutter - XVIII Century 1:64 Scale
ScreenShot001.jpg
Victory Models
The Cutter Lady Nelson is modelled on a typical British cutter of the late eighteenth, early nineteenth century.
The cutter is a native British design and was developed originally by the smugglers of Folkestone and surrounding areas. It did not take long for the Navy to appreciate the merits of the cutter’s design and were employed in the Navy from the middle of the eighteenth century to counter the smugglers.
The cutter was designed for speed, adopting an unusually large spread of sail for the size of vessel, deploying both fore and aft and square sails on a single mast. Cutters excelled at patrol and despatch duties due to their speed; however they were not suitable for close inshore work due to their deep draught.
The original vessel was 52’ 6” long at the keel, 17’ 6” wide, weighed about 60 tons and carried a compliment of about 30 officers and men. Her armament was 10x 3 pounder carriage guns and 12x swivel guns on her bulwarks.

The Lady Nelson kit has been designed with the beginner/intermediate modeller in mind, and as such it is an ideal introduction to the art of plank on bulkhead modelling.
Kit contents include laser cut wood parts throughout in birch ply and walnut, metal and wooden fittings and very comprehensive building plans and instructions written in English.

Needless to say, I shall have to make a case for her as well to keep the dust off but she looks and absolute beauty. Just got to slide the price past Elaine and off we go :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Re: Retirement Project........Part 1!

Post by Dave 101 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 am

I hope you enjoy your retirement Duncan , do you have very good eye sight and very nimble fingers or an exceptional amount of patience to do modelling in such a small scale ? I don't , that's why I went to 1/6 .

Dave
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:23 am

Give us a story about it as you build it. I mean a story about the experience of building it. Looks like a project that will occupy your attention and some of your time for a for more than a day or two.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Sure, I'll post a progress report as I develop the project.............but first, purchase your kit :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Are you now 65 then Duncan. Good luck with the project sounds interesting.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:39 am

dhtaxi wrote:Are you now 65 then Duncan. Good luck with the project sounds interesting.
Cheers Dave, get the pension in a month's time - provided there is any money left :loco: :loco:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm

If you want to build a model ship Duncan, this is what you really need.
And it's only $1200 + S&H............. :mrgreen:

http://www.model-space.com/us/build-hms ... gn=Victory
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Iv got a retirement project. Having said that every time I raise the subject with my Boss he refuses to discuss it.Hmmmmmmmmmm

I have a lathe and other bits and pieces of machinery in a brick building behind my house. I have started making expanders for cast bullets to fit in the Lee expander die for all the calibers I shoot cast for.
I have got it off pat now. I am making Overall length gauges. Annealing cups and all sorts of other stuff. Last week I turned a 6.5x55 Cartridge over all length insert for a guy who was struggling to find one for his Sinclair comparator he was over the moon with it. I'm enjoying it the only problem is I have got over all length gauges expanders annealing cups coming out of my ears LOL. I need to stop don't know what I am going to do with them.

I'm currently working on a custom die Iv set the Lathe up to cut a 7/8 by 14 TPI thread. I'm spending tomorrow afternoon cutting the threads on the die if it works out Ill be well chuffed.
I have also made my self a barrel spider and at some point I am going to have a go at chambering a barrel. But that's further down the line. Its all good fun though.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Why not make some head spacers for the Mosin-Nagant rifles, you could probably sell those.
And they should be pretty easy to make on a metal lathe.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 am

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:31 am

Why not make some head spacers for the Mosin-Nagant rifles, you could probably sell those.
And they should be pretty easy to make on a metal lathe.
They are very easy to make I have made one for every rifle I own. Yesterday I made one for my .303. I don't own a Nagant any more but I could still make the gauge. Only problem with milsurps is they can have really long chambers so the bullet actually drops out of the end of the case before they engage with the rifling. That reminds me another thing I am set up for is drilling and tapping cases to fit the hornady over all length gauge. Iv seen people charge £6 to drill and tap cases it takes about 5 minutes on a lathe.