1948 Argoflex twin lens reflex

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

1948 Argoflex twin lens reflex

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Another $15 ebay camera arrived the other day. It is a Argoflex twin lens reflex from 1948. It uses 620 film so to use it you have to have two 620 spindles which are just a slight bit shorter in overall length than standard 12o film spindle. You then have to rewind the new 120 film in a dark bag onto the 620 spindle before proceeding to load and lock the camera.

The camera itself looked to be pretty much in ok condition. I noted the mechanical shutter was a bit sticky and I worked it at various speeds and apertures for a while in hopes it would loosen up. I then discarded the leather case because it was disintegrating in a fine red powder all over my hands and shirt. You can see some residue on the camera in the photos I'm attaching.

Well... not a good first impression. The view finder was not good for viewing or focusing. It was really pretty awful in bright sun light. The shutter was sticking at most apertures and on top of that the hand held 2.26 pound box was not immune to any camera shake at what may or may not have been the selected relatively fast shutter speed. I did get one strange triple exposure on purpose because of the sticky shutter that would sometimes not open and sometimes not close properly. So I tried three times on one exposure. And about a third of the negatives were just black because of stuck open shutter at a 4.5 aperture.

So it was crap to start with on the first go round. But you never know what you are going to get with these old relics. It's the adventure of it that's fun. And... I think I will try taking the glass out and getting down to the leaf blades and see if I can free them up a bit with some contact cleaner.
Attachments
DSC04347.jpg
DSC04348.jpg
DSC04349.jpg
DSC04350.jpg
DSC04351.jpg
DSC04352.jpg
img950.jpg
img951.jpg
img952.jpg
img955.jpg