film camera adventure continues

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

film camera adventure continues

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:44 am

People still pay money for "rangefinders" that have mechanical F stops and two or three, often camera selected, shutter speeds which passes for programming assistance. Focus is mechanical with the align the images technology that is dependent on how good the photographer's eye sight is. At the same time, more sophisticated SLR's can cost less than the run of the mill Rangefinder or be still relatively expensive depending on perceived desirability.

The least desired film camera's are the point and shoot camera's of the decade or two before the digital camera. I just bought a box full for a bid of $5 and the assurance that at least half of them had been tested as working. The largest part of the expense was paying $9 worth of postage.

One of the bundle.. the one I wanted most... is the Canon Sure Shot Classic 100. It has a 38-120 auto zoom, lots of options and programs including over and under exposure settings and center weighted focus or computer aided focus interpretation. Set programs like action, head shot, close up, etc. And... it worked just fine. I tried it out while doing yard work yesterday. What attracted me to it was the "classic" was a design made to look like a range finder.
Attachments
group.jpg
back.jpg
front.jpg
flash.jpg
clock.jpg
me.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: film camera adventure continues

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Ooooo, that is a beauty Robert, wish I could pick up a box of Martini Henry's for the same price!! :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:10 pm

When we were kids my sister had a Brownie Hawkeye like that, you held it at your waist
and looked down into the viewer, and a big flash attachment screwed onto left side. It was
used for most of the family photos in my youth. It brings fond memories back.
And like most, had a drawer full of old 35mm cameras at the beginning of the digital age.... :mrgreen:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:41 pm

Here is another in the same batch. Canon Sure Shot Z 90W. That's a lot of name. 28-90 zoom that seems longer...but starting at 28 is probably why. It has a few built in programs. Auto, back light compensation, portrait and macro. Has a spot meter and you can pick your own preferences as a saved mode.

Shoots fine. Only problem was I wasn't paying attention to the outline in the view to allow for parallax era when doing closeups. some of the photos could have been at least more balanced if I had paid attention.
Attachments
img545.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
img528.jpg
img532.jpg
img533.jpg
img519.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I have seen too many horror movies to even ask about that girl wrapped in plastic....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:01 pm

That's a Xena Warrior Princess doll. Don't ask why we have one of those. It isn't my doll. :loco:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:09 pm

You could always say it belongs to the grandkids.......unless it's blow-up..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Tried out the Pentax IQZoom EZY-80 from this batch and a $5 Petri 7S.

The Pentax seemed to function with a 38-80 zoom with the exception it sometimes showed some camera shake and at other times had a hard time getting a center screen focus. But .. flash worked and it would have been an ok family snapshot camera during the film era. One thing I forgot to do was turn off the date on the negative feature.

The Petri 7S is a rangefinder. I bought it as is and it was pretty beat up. Various things locked up every now and then.. think a big clunk mark on the case was evidence of a hard life and the lens probably got some of the clunks as it seemed to be hard turn to focus now and again like some gears were stripped. The selenium light meter seemed to be working right though strangely enough. Then.. after about ten shots into a 36 roll it locked up. No shutter movement. No film advance. Couldn't get it going again. But... if it had kept working .. could have used it again as it seems to have a pretty good lens.

I'll post the Pentax images first.
Attachments
Fuzzy Pentax from slow shutter
Fuzzy Pentax from slow shutter
Pentax
Pentax
Pentax
Pentax
2cameras.jpg
Petri
Petri
Petri
Petri
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:43 am

I have a Petri Color 35 but can't remember using it. I think it cost me about $7 back in the 90's
Attachments
CAMERAS 21 APR 14 WEB.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.