New boat camera

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

New boat camera

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:38 pm

A boat camera should be water proof and not easily hurt by salt water spray. It doesn't matter that you aren't planning on swimming with it. It also has to be rugged enough to take falls and drops onto hard surfaces and not be affected by rough use. My Pentax Optio W20 has done all of that for years and has taken really good photos. It's just getting old and is a bit slow between shots...and it can't take shots in bursts. It being Christmas time, and I having some gift card money given to me recently as a present, I invested the money the whole $100 in a new boat camera. It is the Lumix DMC-TS30A. It has a 25 to 100 mm equivalent zoom. It does movies in MP4. I can be 25 feet under water and still work...so it is advertised. It can also stitch together panoramic photos and has a decent 16mp photo taking capacity. And.. you can get one for $100.

So I have been snapping some photos recently with the new camera. I took it out to the Flea Market today and did some "street photography" without the flash on. This presented a bit of a problem in that the camera often selected a slower than I would have liked shutter speed. It did fine where there was good light, but lacked some sharpness in dimmer light. But.... it does have a lot of programmed in choices and maybe I should have chosen better. But... here is a selection from recent snap shot taking.

My inside flash use has produced some good shots and some crappy ones...but I'll be using this camera outside so it won't matter. I have better... and more expensive camera's .....for that kind of thing.

One other thing... it is thin and small and fits into a shirt or pants pocket with no trouble.
Attachments
back.jpg
end.jpg
front.jpg
P1000120.jpg
P1000180.jpg
P1000216.jpg
P1000220.jpg
P1000241.jpg
P1000244.jpg
P1000257.jpg
P1000252.jpg