New scanner

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

PeterN2

New scanner

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I have been wanting a scanner to scan slides and negatives so I have bought an Epson V600. I am still finding my way about this machine and the photoshop as I am not very computer literate in regards to photo processing.

I have scanned an old colour negative film from 1982 as a trial. The first image below is the auto scan from the negative and the second is an adjusted version I attempted in photoshop. I have a lot to learn about photo processing on computers. The photo is taken in Clitheroe in Lancashire. The building site on the right is a Booths supermarket going up at the time.

Any tips or instructions on photo processing welcome.
img028.jpg
img028_edited-1.jpg
Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: New scanner

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 pm

I have an Epson V330 Peter which produces quite reasonable scans from Negatives & Slides.
What version of Photoshop are you using? I have recently moved sideways from PSCS6 to Photoshop Elements 14 which is much easier to use for a beginner but also produces excellent results for people like me. I have been using Photoshop since the early 1990's
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:49 pm

From the looks of the 2nd pic, you seem to have figured it out.
And I see that your trains drive on the wrong side, like your cars......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I have used Photoshop Elements 11 that came with the scanner. I could have a play with Irfanview that I have on the computer.

Yes, our trains drive on the left, just as our cars on the roads. It just seems natural that way.

Regards
Peter.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Trying colour slide scans. It was taken in 1985 at Aviemore in the Scottish Highlands on the Strathspey preserved heritage rail line. This is as the picture came off the scanner without any tweaks. I understand the scene has changed a bit since then. I have not been back since then. The little dog will be long gone and the two boys in the foreground will now be men in their forties.
img042.jpg
Regards
Peter.

http://strathspeyrailway.co.uk/
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:01 pm

I've got the Ebson V600. I've been very happy with it. And.. it came with the photoshop 11 free version. You might use the check off corrections in the scan window menu after you have seen the preview. I use the backlight correction as a more or less regular thing. The color "restore" correction mode is interesting too. If you don't like the results you can just rescan. You hit one of those auto program buttons and you can see the images change brightness in preview mode.

The free Photoshop is pretty involved in what it will do and seems pretty good for free. About the only thing I've used is use the touch up feature. I comes in handy for scanned prints with flaws.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:20 pm

I found a film from about 1990 of some pictures of Bisley. The first is of a friend on the right shooting his Colt New Service in the days when we were allowed to shoot pistols. He has since retired and now lives in Cyprus. I have the New Service as part of my collection but I am not allowed to shoot it.
The other photo is of another friend shooting his Martini Mark IV on the 200 yard shorts range. This range has since been demolished to build the clay pigeon shooting range complex. I am finding pictures I have not seen in years. It will take a while to scan them all if I ever get them done. I need to practice a bit first.
img046.jpg
img053.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Looks like you got the hang of it, Peter. It's fun digging out the old negatives and scanning them. I found one exposure at the end of a roll that wasn't a complete frame. The printer years ago didn't print it. I scanned it and and edited out the part that was flawed and it was like discovering a lost treasure. It showed my two children when they were really small running down a farm road at their grand parents farm. They are both in their mid 30s now.

I thought I had posted about it....

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... ner#p47490