Petri Color Corrected 1.9 rangefinder

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Petri Color Corrected 1.9 rangefinder

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Here's another one. Kuribieyashi camera company was founded in 1907. They changed their name to Petri and made respectable cameras. This 1.9 rangefinder was made about 1958. No meter. All mechanical. Largest opening on 50mm lens is respectable 1.9. Shutter speeds B through 500. Petri went out of business in 1977.

I like the look of the thing. 26.5 oz. of metal. Classic design. Cross hair, split screen, range finder that is difficult for old eyes to focus, but there is a numbered distance scale. Today's photo journey wasn't all a bed of roses. Must have hit the film release along the line unintentionally because I got a double exposure I didn't plan. A few other problems with my developing skills... trash in the D76,difficultly loading onto developing reel that required a reload and subsequent bends in the negatives , development time a little off. However, considering this camera probably hasn't been used in years it worked as good as I had a right to expect. It deserves another roll of film before I have a clear idea of how well it is really functioning after 59 years. Not the one I'd grab if the photos were important however...but it's an adventure in the technically ancient equipment that I'm after and not the photo as art.
Attachments
front.jpg
top.jpg
barrel.jpg
example1.jpg
example2.jpg
example3.jpg
example4.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Petri Color Corrected 1.9 rangefinder

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Just got it's brother with the slightly slower 2.8. lens. Bought it with bubbles showing on the lens for $8. Turned out to be an easy fix as the lens came out after removing only one ring with the proper tool and just cleaning the front of the lens element and replacing. Have to try it out pretty soon.
Attachments
front.jpg
two.jpg
top.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 am

I have a Petri Colour 35 but it doesn't work. I can't remember what's wrong with it but I think it was the shutter. Fits OK into the dis[lay in the gîte though........
Attachments
IMG_1291a.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am

If it is the shutter that does not fire, consider this possible fix. When I was messing with the new to me camera yesterday, I got the lens out and put it back after cleaning and then started to fire all the shutter speeds at different apertures to check it out and then all of a sudden nothing would happen at any setting. No click at all even though the shutter button would fully depress. So I unscrewed the back ring again, tipped t he camera to get the lens out... it just comes out after the lock ring is removed. I sprayed the aperture curtain with a little electrical connection cleaner and ... pressed the shutter release ...all was well. Sprayed it a second time and worked all the speeds. To clean any residue on the inside of the front lens use a q-tip at wide open bulb, then replace the back lens.

There were slots in the ring on opposite sides. Arrow points to one side.
Attachments
petri-001.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:07 pm

The 2.8 has another problem. I took it out yesterday and discovered that although the image quality is good enough, the film advance slips and only advances the film a full frame part of the time when the lever is advanced. Have to take the bottom off and see if there is some screw that needs tightening....or if it becomes a display only item. Camera looks great though.