Pentax KM

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Pentax KM

Post by Niner » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Introduced in 1975 it was one of a three camera group. It was the least sophisticated of the three....K2,KX, and KM. And a year later the ikonic Pentax K1000 came along that was even less sophisticated than the KM. The K1000 was exactly like the KM except the KM had a depth of field button and an auto timer switch and a ring around the film winder that you could set a reminder of if the camera was loaded and if it had color or B&W film. By 1977 the KM was history as smaller and lighter Pentax cameras with more features replaced it in the M series.

Funny how the nearly the same camera, with less basic minimal features, the K1000, was produced in record numbers and is still the number one tyro film camera down to today.

The KM is a worthy mechanical bare bones film camera though and I don't know why it didn't outlast the K1000 as a basic mechanical SLR...if only for the timer.
Attachments
face.jpg
top.jpg
depth.jpg
reminder.jpg
eample one.jpg
example2.jpg
example3.jpg
example4.jpg
example5.jpg