Kodak No. 2

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Kodak No. 2

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I got a group of four cameras recently. Before shipping costs from Seattle they were $5 each.....but after shipping they are about $9.50 each. Whatever.... they were all classics for the collection and I bought them with profit from the sale of one camera I had nothing in.

The No. 2 Kodak was from sometime in the 1920's and used 120 film so I tried it out first. It was complete with box inside of box and instruction booklet. The instruction book and warranty has a page on the back to fill out and the year is marked 192__ You fill in the blank for the specific year in the 1920's.

The camera seemed fine enough. The shutter worked. The aperture controls seemed to work. There are only a few shutter speed selections. 25, 50, T, B. The apertures go 6.3 to 32. The suggested choice of shutter speed while guessing exposure is 25. Of course camera movement was something to be avoided as much as possible. Those aren't standard apertures by later universal standards. They are about half of standard on the low end to something like on the high end. Check out this site.
https://connealy.blogspot.com/2016/08/k ... ownie.html

Focus distance is controlled by how far you pull the according bellows out. There is a scale on the left side at the bottom of the bellows track. Furthest out is for "portrait" at about 8 to 25 feet. The middle is considered best for general sharpness and the furthest back mark is for distant to infinity.

Well... put in a roll of Acros 100 Neopan and went out to get the full eight images.

And.....neglected to check closely for pinhole light leaks. But.. if I can figure out how to cover the pinhole leaks I think this camera would take some good large negative shots.
Attachments
brownie.jpg
profileopen.jpg
distance.jpg
img445.jpg
open.jpg
inside bellows.jpg
img446.jpg
img447.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Kodak No. 2

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:26 pm

OMG...... ghosts in the trees......... :mrgreen:

Interesting how you can manage to get all these old cameras to work.
This one reminds me of the Polaroid Instant camera I bought back in '69.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm

When I die it may be noted that I shot more different guns and more different cameras and played on more different trumpets and cornets than anybody in my family tree had before.... going back to Adams off child, from whom I likely descended.... and I'll probably retain that record in perpetuity for as long as there are decedents related to me. Of course, nobody will note anything of the sort so it won't actually matter. But ......it's fun just the same.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm

spray.jpg
Saw this comment online that pinhole light leaks could be covered with spray on electrical tape . Said spray remains elastic and is black and covers light leaks. So I tried it and ran another roll through the camera.

Well... the pinhole leaks are hard to find even with a flashlight in the bellows in a totally dark room. And.. since most of the leaks are in the accordion folds they are hard to cover. In any case I did the best I could and set off. And the results.... less light leak but not completely. Also some of the images didn't come out in correct order and some of the images overlap. Then there is the one double exposure.... user error.

I also took another camera ... a Feldex 20 along. I'll make a comment about that one later.
Attachments
img461.jpg
double.jpg
best.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:20 pm

I like the double image, it almost gives the look of it being a reflection of itself.... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Can't do that with a digital camera. :bigsmile:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:06 pm

It's nice to see you getting these old cameras going again Robert.
Joe
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks, Joe. I love encouragement. :bigsmile: