Foldex 20

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Foldex 20

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Foldex 20 was produced from 1948 to 1960. It took big 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 images. That's 8 to a roll of standard film....like the Kodak 2 I mentioned also today. It was made by Pho Tak of Chicago and must have sold a pretty good many at less than $20 each. It has one shutter speed of maybe 1/50th of a second as well as a B mode. The Aperture is unknown to me but probably something toward the open end. The most amazing thing about it is that you push a button on the finder side and the accordion bellows pops right out to full length.

Took it for a test run. I was suspecting some pinhole or other leaks and there were some light leaks. But not a total loss.

About the same time as this camera Kodak had a much better version with a pop out bellows. It also had multiple shutter speeds and apertures as well. It was called the Tourist and I wrote one up in another post string.

The shutter release is on the bellows frame. You push in toward the middle of the camera to trip the shutter. Not exactly an ergonomic location but the Kodak operated much the same way.

I'd say the camera is good enough for snap shots...or was. The simple plastic Kodak Brownie Hawkie was probably better and cheaper and didn't have a cloth bellows to get holes in.
Attachments
bestf.jpg
foldex1.jpg
feldex2.jpg
foldex3.jpg
foldex4.jpg
r1.jpg
shutter.jpg
Kodak.jpg
kodak and foldex.jpg